Bilston Street, Wolverhampton.
- Site leased by Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited
(BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) from 1918.
- Site purchased in June 1920, with a vehicle capacity of 24 at this time.
- Site extended in June 1926.
- Closed in March 1964, with staff and vehicles moving to a new site
on Dudley Road. Site is passed to the Wolverhampton
Corporation and demolished to make way for a new ring-road
Dudley Road, Wolverhampton.
- Purpose built depot to replace the existing garage at Bilston Street.
Initial capacity is for sixty vehicles, and the site features underground
parking for staff cars.
- Opened by Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) on Sunday 1st March 1964.
- Allocation of 31 vehicles and total annual mileage of 1.5 million miles during it’s peak.
- Depot closed on Friday 1st October 1971, after only 7 years and 7 months of use, due to economical pressures. Vehicles and services moved to Dudley depot, Oldbury depot, Harts Hill depot, Stourbridge depot, Stafford depot and Wellington depot. A number of staff transferred to other depots, but most chose to take redundancy.
- Used for vehicle storage.
- BMMO wished to reopen Wolverhampton depot in December 1973, to operate
ex-Wolverhampton Corporation services they were due to acquire with
the transfer of services to and from the West Midlands PTE, and a
new superintendent for the garage was appointed. Unfortunately,
the tenant at the time would not move out, and BMMO was forced to
reopen Cradley Heath depot
See the “Transfer
of BMMO Services and Assets to the West Midlands PTE” page
in the “History”
section of this website for further details of the transfer.