Birchley Crossing, Wolverhampton New Road,
- Brick built garage with two large bays of differing length, purpose
built by Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited
(BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) on a corner site, with an initial
capacity for 70 vehicles. A flat-roofed office block with a
curved frontage, and a large slender clock tower was built at the
- Depot opened on 12th April 1937, with an initial
allocation of forty double-deck and twelve single-deck buses.
- Fitted with an automatic vehicle washing machine in 1949, becoming
the first BMMO depot thus equipped.
- Clock tower demolished in 1968.
- Full control of the depot, along with all staff and vehicles, passed
to the West Midland Passenger Transport Executive (WMPTE) on
3rd December 1973, as part of the transfer of services
in the West Midlands County.
See the “Transfer
of BMMO Services and Assets to the West Midlands PTE” page
in the “History”
section of this website for further details of the transfer.
- Depot closed on Saturday 25th January 1986, and was later demolished.
- Site is a petrol station, a pub ("One and two halves") and a hotel (adjacent to the M5, junction 2)