Foster Street, Stourbridge
- Depot opened by Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited
(BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) on 22nd July 1926, with a large forecourt that was used as a bus station.
- Garage extended in 1931 bringing the capacity in 47 vehicles.
- An additional bus station opened opposite the garage, on a Railway Station forecourt, in 1947.
- A third bus station in the area open in nearby Vauxhall Road in 1948, for buses running into Birmingham.
This third bus station was opened to allow buses to and from Birmingham to avoid a low railway bridge, permitting double-deck vehicles to be used on these routes for the first time.
- Garage rebuilt in 1958, with the forecourt bus station being roofed and receiving a brick frontage, becoming part of the main garage building. This area continued to be used as a bus station during the daytime and provided additional parking over night, increasing the parking capacity to 73 vehicles. New brick built offices, workshop, Enquiry Office and Travel Bureau were also added at this time.
- Full control of the depot, along with all staff and vehicles,
passed to the West Midland Passenger Transport Executive
(WMPTE) on 3rd December 1973, as part of the transfer
of services in the West Midlands County.
See the “Transfer
of BMMO Services and Assets to the West Midlands PTE”
page in the “History”
section of this website for further details of the transfer.
- Depot closed by West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive (WMPTE) on Saturday 26th January 1985.
- Demolished and redeveloped as a Mercedes dealership.