Transfers in + out

Vehicle and Fleet discussions for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12
Posts: 1083
Joined: 19:49 Monday 4th July 2016

Transfers in + out

Post by DD12 » 13:23 Tuesday 2nd July 2019

One of the "fascinations" of the bustimes.org tracking system is that one can "visit" the live map, like I've just done, and see a transfer, or loan is in service on a local route !

53817, a short, slimline Solo is apparently on the 31 today.
Don't know if it's just a loan (?)
It's from Bath, and it's part of the same batch as our 53802.

This prompts me to ask "will 53207 ever return to service" ? ( - having been repainted, it's then been out of service for a long time, despite various parts being available from our withdrawn Solos).

(It's a shame we no longer get any news from "mechwr26", - who hopefully is enjoying his campervan tour of the world, again).

DD12
Posts: 1083
Joined: 19:49 Monday 4th July 2016

Re: Transfers in + out

Post by DD12 » 15:52 Wednesday 3rd July 2019

UPDATE ! - according to bustimes.org 53207 has returned to service today. :D

DD12
Posts: 1083
Joined: 19:49 Monday 4th July 2016

Re: Transfers in + out

Post by DD12 » 00:14 Friday 5th July 2019

Taken from the official update supplied to Tony Hunter's wmbusphotos website, is the news that 44515 has transferred to Adderley Green.

willr7
Posts: 392
Joined: 21:53 Friday 11th August 2017

Re: Transfers in + out

Post by willr7 » 09:05 Friday 5th July 2019

DD12 wrote:
00:14 Friday 5th July 2019
Taken from the official update supplied to Tony Hunter's wmbusphotos website, is the news that 44515 has transferred to Adderley Green.
Yes, it was also sited in the potteries area by another forum member on on the wmbusphotos site!

willr7
Posts: 392
Joined: 21:53 Friday 11th August 2017

Re: Transfers in + out

Post by willr7 » 09:17 Friday 5th July 2019

DD12 wrote:
13:23 Tuesday 2nd July 2019
One of the "fascinations" of the bustimes.org tracking system is that one can "visit" the live map, like I've just done, and see a transfer, or loan is in service on a local route !

53817, a short, slimline Solo is apparently on the 31 today.
Don't know if it's just a loan (?)
It's from Bath, and it's part of the same batch as our 53802.

This prompts me to ask "will 53207 ever return to service" ? ( - having been repainted, it's then been out of service for a long time, despite various parts being available from our withdrawn Solos).

(It's a shame we no longer get any news from "mechwr26", - who hopefully is enjoying his campervan tour of the world, again).
Looking at the tracker, 53061 has been off the road for a short period and with the fact that 53207 has also been off the road I presume that we were/are short of Solo’s as at least two are specifically required for the operation of service 31 due to the weight restriction along the route.

During the period of them both being off the road, if 53062 or 53802 had failed then there would be a shortage meaning that the 31 could not run properly I presume! This may explain why a bath solo is on loan? I may be incorrect... :lol:

Now that 53207 is back on the road this will take the pressure off I pressume. I take it that this is why we have 4 as one can act as spare and one can be used on Village Links services unless required for the 31 when vehicles are off the road as demonstrated recently.

DD12
Posts: 1083
Joined: 19:49 Monday 4th July 2016

Re: Transfers in + out

Post by DD12 » 12:23 Friday 5th July 2019

willr7 wrote:
09:17 Friday 5th July 2019
[quote This may explain why a bath solo is on loan? I may be incorrect....
That looks like a pretty good summary to me ! --

I believe I read that a bridge in the area is to be strengthened, so if it's the same one, that will be good !

bmmoboy
Posts: 214
Joined: 20:02 Tuesday 5th July 2016

Re: Transfers in + out

Post by bmmoboy » 14:09 Friday 5th July 2019

Network Rail have said, some years ago, that the Comer Road bridge is due to be strengthened in 2020. That said, the present limit must be close to being broken even if a Solo goes across with the large number of cars parked on it (even thought most of it has zig zag markings!)

willr7
Posts: 392
Joined: 21:53 Friday 11th August 2017

Re: Transfers in + out

Post by willr7 » 14:33 Friday 5th July 2019

bmmoboy wrote:
14:09 Friday 5th July 2019
Network Rail have said, some years ago, that the Comer Road bridge is due to be strengthened in 2020. That said, the present limit must be close to being broken even if a Solo goes across with the large number of cars parked on it (even thought most of it has zig zag markings!)
Thanks for sharing this, I was not aware of the upcoming strengthening. :)
When the bridge is strengthened then there is less reason for the route to be restricted to solo operation only, this could potentially leave Worcester with only the two solos (53207, 53802) for Village Links/spare (allowing the older 53061/2 to follow the rest of the batch and be withdrawn) :shock:

Charliedaffin
Posts: 110
Joined: 08:32 Monday 29th October 2018
Location: St johns

Re: Transfers in + out

Post by Charliedaffin » 15:34 Friday 5th July 2019

I got a pic of the solo from bath on the 30
Attachments
BF493F98-A1EF-42BB-8CB9-24FB99C8909C.jpeg

User avatar
AdamH
Posts: 1658
Joined: 12:17 Sunday 3rd July 2016
Location: Worcester
Contact:

Re: Transfers in + out

Post by AdamH » 15:36 Friday 5th July 2019

bmmoboy wrote:
14:09 Friday 5th July 2019
Network Rail have said, some years ago, that the Comer Road bridge is due to be strengthened in 2020. That said, the present limit must be close to being broken even if a Solo goes across with the large number of cars parked on it (even thought most of it has zig zag markings!)
They pulled the limit out of thin air and nobody at the council questioned it. The bridge can take the weight but the limit is now a local bylaw and can’t easily be changed.

Post Reply

Return to “Fleet Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests