Midland Red motor car !

DD12

Midland Red motor car !

Post by DD12 » 23:14 Tuesday 20th April 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnEr9Ev-A-A

I was shocked when watching an episode of Bangers and Cash, to see that this Alvis car featured a similar design of front grille to the Midland Red C1 - C4 !!

ANDREW

Re: Midland Red motor car !

Post by ANDREW » 09:46 Wednesday 21st April 2021

Smart motor . Reasonable colour match too !! Did I read 60 mph as top speed ?? How did 60 compare to a C1 etc ??

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 14:47 Wednesday 21st April 2021

ANDREW wrote:
09:46 Wednesday 21st April 2021
Smart motor . Reasonable colour match too !! Did I read 60 mph as top speed ?? How did 60 compare to a C1 etc ??
The four speed direct top C1's such as 3301, when it was first preserved, would make about 42 or 43 MPH when the governors cut in. I was never privileged to travel on the five speed overdrive C1's as originally specified, but I believe the fifth gear ratio was 0.7:1, therefore if you multiply 42 x 10 and divide by 7 that equals 60 MPH or thereabouts. Incidentally the the four speed C1's had their five speed gearboxes removed for fitment to CM5's. Surprisingly the C5 coaches when new were only four speed with maximum of a mere 47 MPH and would be overtaken by almost every other vehicle when on the M6 (which started at Gailey just south of Stafford back in 1959) for day trips to New Brighton and the like.

Having travelled on five speed C3 and C4 types, these would eventually reach about 60 MPH, but I am told that the problem was stopping them, not to mention heavy steering as well.

However, I was passenger on C4 4250 working a day excursion around 1960, which was delayed in Malvern by a booking problem and the driver really pushed his charge all the way to Bournemouth on 'A' roads in four hours, including a half hour break. It was on the governors (cha-cha-cha) in overdrive for many miles including the winding road from Cheltenham to Swindon with high speed cornering which only a strong-armed driver could achieve. We even overtook a brand new 36 ft. Black & White Plaxton bodied Leopard coach uphill on the Stratton St Margaret's bypass, again because the driver knew exactly when to change down to be on maximum revs for each gear and not to hang on until the revs dropped; I think he received big tips from every passenger at the end of the day!

MattW

Post by MattW » 20:15 Wednesday 21st April 2021

Sounds like a fantastic journey. Shame Im such a poor traveller, I would probably have been very queasy!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:19 Wednesday 21st April 2021

MattW wrote:
20:15 Wednesday 21st April 2021
Sounds like a fantastic journey. Shame Im such a poor traveller, I would probably have been very queasy!
"Driver, here's a tip for you... SLOW DOWN!" :lol:

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 09:31 Thursday 22nd April 2021

AdamH wrote:
20:19 Wednesday 21st April 2021
MattW wrote:
20:15 Wednesday 21st April 2021
"Driver, here's a tip for you... SLOW DOWN!" :lol:
On another occasion we had a driver who was renowned for trying to do everything in overdrive, it took 7 hours from Fernhill Heath to Bournemouth, we had just over two hours at the seaside and didn't get back home until 2 am (nearly 8 hours!) much to the consternation my mother as I was only 14 years old at the time. Oh and we seemed to get lost in Wiltshire ending up going past Bristol Temple Meads at midnight. I know which driver I preferred!

On another return day trip we had a front puncture near Swindon and limped back with a wheel and tyre supplied by Bristol Omnibus Swindon bus garage - didn't get back home until 3 am the next morning (more consternation).

Why did we keep going to Bournemouth with all this hassle? Well, Bournemouth Corporation had many old Leyland buses and a fleet of trolleybuses, plus Hants and Dorset Bristols were in abundance and, if you got a full 5 hours, there was time to go to Bournemouth Central railway station with its shed attached (usually 6 or 8 locos visible to 'spot') and a regular supply of Bulleid Pacifics running to and from Waterloo. Never had time for a paddle!

MattW

Post by MattW » 17:51 Thursday 22nd April 2021

Halcyon days Tim 8-)

Funny isn't it, when I was living in Swansea between 1999 and 2001, it was all Atlanteans, VRs, Nationals, step-entrance Darts, various Merc minibuses. Now they're all gone too, yet it seems like only last week!

Return to “Automobiles”