Sutton Coldfield Depot
Upper Holland Road, Sutton Coldfield
- Purpose built garage of red brick over a steel frame, with a four-bay frontage. Initial depot capacity was for 60 vehicles.
- Opened by Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) on Sunday 26th August 1934, with an initial allocation of 40 vehicles.
- Depot allocation of 70 vehicles in 1948, increasing to 73 vehicles in early 1949, but post-war shortages of building materials delayed a planned extension.
- Extension opened on 31st January 1950, increasing
vehicle capacity to 100 vehicles.
- Vehicle allocation peaked at around 100 vehicles in 1956.
- Vehicle allocation of around 60 vehicles in 1967.
- Full control of the depot, along with all staff and vehicles, passed
to the West Midland Passenger Transport Executive (WMPTE) on
3rd December 1973, as part of the transfer of services
in the West Midlands County.
See the “Transfer
of BMMO Services and Assets to the West Midlands PTE” page
in the “History”
section of this website for further details of the transfer.
- Closed by West Midland PTE on Saturday 28th January 1984.
- Site now used as an elderly persons' home.