Depots and Garages in Malvern
Portland Road garage, Great Malvern (Worcester depot outstation)
- “Portland Stables” converted to a bus garage with a capacity for eight single-deck buses parked in-doors and four more vehicles parked outside on the forecourt. Owned by W. & B. Woodyatt Limited as their main base of operations.
- Local bus operations of W. & B. Woodyatt Limited passed to Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) on Saturday 22nd April 1916 after Woodyatt vehicles were impressed by the War Office, leaving the company with only one vehicle to operate all of their services. BMMO Service 25 (later renumbered to Service 144) is extended to Malvern Wells at this time to partly replace Woodyatt services, with other local Malvern services being operated by Worcester (East Street) depot.
- Coach tour operations of W. & B. Woodyatt Limited passed to Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) on Friday 17th May 1929, with Woodyatts acting as a booking agent from this time.
- Portland Road site leased by W. & B. Woodyatt Limited to Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) from January 1930. Used as an outstation or “dormy garage” of Worcester (Padmore Street) depot, with an initial allocation of three vehicles. As an outstation this garage never had its own allocation of vehicles, but examples from the first production batch of SOS “SON” (with registration numbers starting CHA) were common in the early post-war years.
- By 1949, SOS “SON” fleet numbers 2044, 2052, 2054 and 2318 (registration numbers DHA662, DHA670, DHA672 and FHA473) were permanently being used from this site. These four vehicles were replaced by BMMO S9 fleet numbers 3419, 3423, 3424 and 3453 (registration numbers LHA419, LHA423, LHA424 and LHA453) from new in July to September 1949. In April 1950, two additional new vehicles were acquired, these being BMMO S10 fleet numbers 3639 and 3645 (registration numbers NHA639 and NHA645).
- The four BMMO S9 buses were all withdrawn by May 1952 and sent to coachbuilders Charles H. Roe to have bodywork lenghtened and rebuilt as B44F. These were replaced at Malvern by four BMMO S6 buses, all still in pre-rebuilt 40-seat form.
- Site closed in September 1954, all vehicles and operations transferred to a new purpose built site at Spring Lane, Malvern Link.
- Site passed to the General Post Office.
- Building demolished by the end of the 1970s.