Service 144: Timetable Changes
2nd October 1976
Malvern depot closedShow All
Midland Red Omnibus Company Limited (MROC) closed Malvern depot at the end of operations on Friday 1st October 1976. All local “M”-prefix services are withdrawn, and a number of long-distance services in the area are either withdrawn or cut-back. From Saturday 2nd October 1976, a new network of services in the Malvern area is introduced, operated by Worcester depot.
- The Worcester to Malvern Wells section of Service 144 is withdrawn and partly replaced by new Service 412 running between Worcester, Powick, Malvern Link and Great Malvern (Post Office). This new service also runs via Sherrards Green, Pound Bank and Barnards Green to replace withdrawn Service M13.
- The Great Malvern to Malvern Wells section of Service 144, and withdrawn Service M16 (Great Malvern to West Malvern) are partly replaced by new Service 478 running between Ledbury, Colwall, West Malvern, Great Malvern and Malvern Wells.
13th January 1979
“SevernLink” Market Analysis ProjectShow All
On Saturday 13th January 1979, Midland Red Omnibus Company Limited (MROC) introduced the “SevernLink” Market Analysis Project (MAP) scheme in the Worcester, Bromsgrove and Malvern areas.
- New Service 143 introduced as a short-working variation of Service 144, running between Birmingham, Northfield, Rubery, Marlbrook, Catshill, Sidemoor, Bromsgrove and Charford.
- Service 412 and Service 413 (Worcester, Malvern Link and Great Malvern) are withdrawn and partly replaced by extending Service 144 from Worcester to Great Malvern, running via Powick, Malvern Link, Pound Bank and Barnards Green. Two morning peak-time Service 144 journeys continue to Malvern Wells.
- New timetable combining new Service 143 and Service 144, with each running every 30-minutes inter-worked to give a 15-minute frequency between Birmingham and Bromsgrove. Service 144 timings are adjusted between The Malverns and Worcester to provide better connections with the Birmingham motorway services at Worcester.
26th May 1979
A number of changes to the “Severnlink” network were introduced from Wednesday 26th May 1976.
- The Worcester to The Malverns section of Service 144 is withdrawn and replaced by new Service 344 running between Worcester, Powick, Malvern Link, Pound Bank, Barnards Green and Great Malvern (Post Office). Certain Service 344 journeys continue to Malvern Wells.
- Remaining “Motorway Express” Service X43 and Service X44 journeys are withdrawn and replaced additional Service M43 and Service M44 journeys. These run over the same routes between Birmingham and Worcester, then continue to The Malverns to replace Service 144 through journeys between Birmingham and The Malverns.
5th September 1981
Midland Red Omnibus Company Limited cease tradingShow All
At the end of operations on Saturday 5th September 1981, Midland Red Omnibus Company Limited (MROC) ceased trading as a bus and coach operator. The operation of all services are divided and assumed by five new operating companies.
- Operation of Service 143 (Birmingham, Bromsgrove and Charford) and Service 144 (Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Droitwich Spa and Worcester) pass to Midland Red (West) Limited from Sunday 6th September 1981.