Service M44 was introduced by Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) on Saturday 1st July 1950. The service ran between Great Malvern, Barnards Green, and Guarlford over the same route as Service M34, but then continued to the military camp at Blackmore Park (No.2 Camp).
The service was extended past Blackmore Camp to Hanley Swan on Monday 10th September 1951, and together with Service M34 was diverted to call at the forecourt of Great Malvern railway station. At the same time a number of journeys on Service M34 were replaced with new journeys on Service M44.
Cuts were made to the Malvern area network on Saturday 26th June 1965 with Service M44 no longer running on Wednesdays, and Service M34 being withdrawn altogether. Larger cuts came in the early 1970s with many rural bus services in all areas being withdrawn. Service M44 did not escape these cuts and was withdrawn on Saturday 3rd April 1971.
|M44||BMMO||October||1955||Great Malvern • Guarlford • Hanley Swan|
With the introduction of the “Severnlink” MAP area scheme on Saturday 13th January 1979, Midland Red Omnibus Company Limited (MROC) extended their Sunday “Motorway Express” Service X43 and Service X44 to The Malverns. To distinguish the Sundays journeys that ran between Birmingham and The Malverns from regular journeys between Birmingham and Worcester, the Sunday workings were renumbered with the extended Service X43 becoming Service M43, and the extended Service X44 becoming Service M44.
Further changes were made to the “Severnlink” MAP area scheme on Saturday 26th May 1979, and at this time the weekday and Saturday operations of Service X43 and Service X44 were also extended to The Malverns, although these mostly only ran as far as Great Malvern and unlike the Sunday journeys they did not continue to British Camp. All journeys on Service X44 were withdrawn and replaced by Service M44.
This change in route number was short-lived and by August 1980, Service M44 and been renumbered back to Service X44.