Service 311 was introduced by Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) in 1926. The service ran between Leominster and Bromyard on Fridays only and was operated by the newly built Hereford depot.
On Saturday 11th February 1928, Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) renumbered their entire network, and at this time Service 311 became Service 422.
By December 1930, Service 422 was running only two return journeys between Bromyard and Leominster on Thursdays only, which was Bromyard Market Day. The first of these started from Worcester in the morning with the second finishing at Worcester in the evening, running as Service 420 on the Worcester to Bromyard section of the route. The service was withdrawn shortly after the outbreak of the Second World War due to fuel rationing.
|422||BMMO||December||1930||Worcester • Bromyard • Docklow • Leominster|
After the end of the Second World War, Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) started to reintroduce some of the services that had been withdrawn due to fuel rationing in 1939, and Service 422 returned in 1947 but only between Leominster and Bromyard.
The post-war version of Service 422 was advertised as running between Leominster, Bromyard, and Worcester, but in reality passengers had to change buses at Bromyard (Post Office) for a Service 420 bus for the Bromyard to Worcester section, sometimes with a wait of up to 30-minutes. The requirement to change bus was noted on timetables until the early 1950s, but from the mid-1950s it seemed to appear at random, being shown on some timetables but not others.
In the early 1970s, BMMO withdrew a large number of rural services and Service 422 did not escape these cuts, being withdrawn on Saturday 3rd April 1971.
|422||BMMO||May||1960||Worcester • Bromyard • Docklow • Leominster|