New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Vehicle and Fleet discussions for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
User avatar
AdamH
Posts: 1280
Joined: 12:17 Sunday 3rd July 2016
Location: Worcester
Contact:

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by AdamH » 19:37 Sunday 4th November 2018

willr7 wrote:
22:16 Saturday 3rd November 2018
Oh Great! :roll: Well on the plus side, at least it's 3 years newer than the current solo's. :lol: My guess is that it will be 53155 (CN06 BXH) which appears to be the only solo left at the 'Potteries'
53155 was very badly damaged by fire in 2014. YouTube video here... Link.

I remember seeing the video at the time but had no idea it had been saved and rebuilt. Does anyone know the date it returned to service?

willr7
Posts: 151
Joined: 21:53 Friday 11th August 2017

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by willr7 » 21:16 Monday 5th November 2018

AdamH wrote:
19:37 Sunday 4th November 2018
willr7 wrote:
22:16 Saturday 3rd November 2018
Oh Great! :roll: Well on the plus side, at least it's 3 years newer than the current solo's. :lol: My guess is that it will be 53155 (CN06 BXH) which appears to be the only solo left at the 'Potteries'
53155 was very badly damaged by fire in 2014. YouTube video here... Link.

I remember seeing the video at the time but had no idea it had been saved and rebuilt. Does anyone know the date it returned to service?

Yes, I also remember seeing the video at the time! I was surprised to see it back on the road considering the amount of damage sustained and that it was already an 8 year old bus! The first photograph of the bus (after the fire) was on the 22nd May 2016 at the POPS Vehicle rally (so the first sighting after the fire was 1 year, 8 months & 11 days) Obviously the vehicle could of re-entered service before this date but the paint looks very fresh in the photo! Link to photograph on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143454438 ... tws-5ZAkz1
Hope this info helps Adam! :D

User avatar
AdamH
Posts: 1280
Joined: 12:17 Sunday 3rd July 2016
Location: Worcester
Contact:

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by AdamH » 20:35 Thursday 8th November 2018

Update... There has been "a dramatic U-turn" regarding 53041, and it will no longer be coming to Worcester. The new plan is to keep 53062 on the road at Worcester. The engineers were not happy with the idea of it coming back and I think they ganged up on their manager!

While it's certainly good for the garage that it won't be coming back, it was always a bit of an oddball in the fleet, so the enthusiast in me kinda liked it .

Also, I have had a reply from Nigel about 33043... It seems it will be used by a homeless shelter in the Manchester area.

willr7
Posts: 151
Joined: 21:53 Friday 11th August 2017

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by willr7 » 21:36 Thursday 8th November 2018

AdamH wrote:
20:35 Thursday 8th November 2018
Update... There has been "a dramatic U-turn" regarding 53041, and it will no longer be coming to Worcester. The new plan is to keep 53062 on the road at Worcester. The engineers were not happy with the idea of it coming back and I think they ganged up on their manager!

While it's certainly good for the garage that it won't be coming back, it was always a bit of an oddball in the fleet, so the enthusiast in me kinda liked it .

Also, I have had a reply from Nigel about 33043... It seems it will be used by a homeless shelter in the Manchester area.
It certainly makes more sense as 53041 is older than any of the current solo's at WR, (I'm glad the engineers were also not happy with that idea) :D Also, sounds like 33043 will be put to good use when it departs Worcester which is good to hear!

DD12
Posts: 736
Joined: 19:49 Monday 4th July 2016

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by DD12 » 22:30 Thursday 8th November 2018

AdamH wrote:
20:35 Thursday 8th November 2018


….. Also, I have had a reply from Nigel about 33043... It seems it will be used by a homeless shelter in the Manchester area.
I like that a lot !

I have intended to make various comments, (sorry !), relating to it's disposal, - one being that when I travelled on it, some months ago, the refurbished interior (2012 ) was standing-up well to wear and tear.

And isn't in "Olympia" livery ? -- -- where were The 2012 Olympic Games held ? ( - I'm not a sports fan).

I've got quite fond of seeing it on the 32 and 37, with it's distinctive upper deck front window --- --- the view through this is probably the best of all of our DDs -- so maybe if some homeless guys and gals sit upstairs at the front, they will be able to see a way ahead !!

If it's only going to be used at one site in the Manchester area, FMR could perhaps take out the engine and gearbox and LED service display equipment ?

User avatar
AdamH
Posts: 1280
Joined: 12:17 Sunday 3rd July 2016
Location: Worcester
Contact:

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by AdamH » 05:51 Friday 9th November 2018

The livery was indeed first used on the buses used at the 2012 London Olympics but it is called “Urban” by First. The Olympic name came from enthusiasts. Since the current “Urban 2” came along, the 2012 version has become known as “Urban 1”.

Charliedaffin
Posts: 6
Joined: 08:32 Monday 29th October 2018

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by Charliedaffin » 15:59 Wednesday 14th November 2018

Ok, I’m just gonna throw this out there, will we be getting new buses to operate a possible route to the new train station

willr7
Posts: 151
Joined: 21:53 Friday 11th August 2017

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by willr7 » 19:34 Wednesday 14th November 2018

Charliedaffin wrote:
15:59 Wednesday 14th November 2018
Ok, I’m just gonna throw this out there, will we be getting new buses to operate a possible route to the new train station
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is wondering what will happen (in terms of buses/routes) when the new Station opens. :D :lol: Is it still scheduled for an 'Early' 2019 opening? :?:

chason
Posts: 125
Joined: 14:24 Friday 22nd July 2016
Location: Bromsgrove

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by chason » 09:15 Thursday 15th November 2018

willr7 wrote:
19:34 Wednesday 14th November 2018
Charliedaffin wrote:
15:59 Wednesday 14th November 2018
Ok, I’m just gonna throw this out there, will we be getting new buses to operate a possible route to the new train station
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is wondering what will happen (in terms of buses/routes) when the new Station opens. :D :lol: Is it still scheduled for an 'Early' 2019 opening? :?:
Have any of the train operating companies, other than GWR, actually committed themselves yet to stopping their trains there or will it suffer the same fate as the new £20million station at Bromsgrove? When the latter was planned, all sorts of possibilities were envisaged (through trains to Plymouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow etc perhaps). Now, other than those on the Cross City line, there are fewer destinations than there were before as the handful of Cross Country trains don't stop there any more!! Plenty of buses serve it but many don't need to stop there due to a lack of passengers.

TimBrown
Posts: 343
Joined: 05:59 Monday 4th July 2016
Location: Worcester

Re: New round of disposals and transfers-out.

Post by TimBrown » 09:50 Thursday 15th November 2018

chason wrote:
09:15 Thursday 15th November 2018
willr7 wrote:
19:34 Wednesday 14th November 2018


I'm glad I'm not the only one who is wondering what will happen (in terms of buses/routes) when the new Station opens. :D :lol: Is it still scheduled for an 'Early' 2019 opening? :?:
Have any of the train operating companies, other than GWR, actually committed themselves yet to stopping their trains there or will it suffer the same fate as the new £20million station at Bromsgrove? When the latter was planned, all sorts of possibilities were envisaged (through trains to Plymouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow etc perhaps). Now, other than those on the Cross City line, there are fewer destinations than there were before as the handful of Cross Country trains don't stop there any more!! Plenty of buses serve it but many don't need to stop there due to a lack of passengers.
I share your views on these new stations, except that Bromsgrove now has four trains an hour to New Street and still retains its hourly connection to Droitwich, Worcester and Hereford. However, I am appalled that none of the CrossCountry trains are calingl since the electrified service came on line.

Worcester Norton Parkway is supposed to see an hourly CrossCountry service calling from the opening day next year, but there is debate as to whether it will be the Cardiff - Nottingham DMU or the real long distance services from South West to North West and North East .

There is also talk of the Cardiff - Nottingham service being transferred to West Midlands Railway and for these trains to once again call at Bromsgrove, Droitwich, Worcester and Ashchurch, which I think is great because it will secure the future of Shrub Hill, which has been in decline for some time, and also provide an hourly service to Cheltenham and Gloucester to supplement the existing, rather erratic, two hourly GWR Malvern - Worcester - Bristol trains.

Norton Parkway is destined to be another pinchpoint on the already congested North Cotswold line as the high level will only feature one platform on the single line section between Norton Junction and Evesham so that opposing trains cannot pass here with delays each end of the single line section. I believe GWR management requested two platforms for the reasons stated above but all they got was the promise of provision for another platform if required in the distant future. It will mean slower trains, not the faster services to Paddington predicted by our local MPs - such is the penny - pinching on any railway project unless it is Crossrail or HS2!

Post Reply

Return to “Fleet Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests