Worcestershire's future passenger transport

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
MattW

Re: Worcestershire's future passenger transport

Post by MattW » 17:17 Tuesday 11th June 2019

Not a rant if it's the truth Tim. Other places seem to able to do it (i.e Gloucester) so why not here?

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 05:54 Wednesday 12th June 2019

The problems experienced by buses attempting to enter the city from Rainbow Hil, Tolladine Road and Shrub Hill Road appear to be caused by cars wanting to access the Asda car park at far end of Pheasant Street. I wonder if the long tailbacks might be alleviated by taking about 10 feet off the bottom length of Padmore Street bus parking patch (with due compensation to Firstbus Worcester) and making the middle of three lanes in Pheasant Street a dedicated Asda car park access only lane?

There is also a precedent set some years ago in Bristol where I believe that the Traffic Commissioners threatened to withdraw the licences if time-keeping didn't improve and insisted on Firstbus amending the timetables to include timing allowance for unavoidable congestion particularly in the peak periods. However, this has only been partly successful if the attached link is correct;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46505936

Worcestershire Royal Hospital has never been properly laid out. From the beginning all the roads were two way with horrendous congestion and massive delays to buses. The one-way system went some way to improving traffic flow, but increasing congestion in the area around the entrance, plus the ambulance parking near the A & E department has created many problems throughout the day in addition to peak period tail-backs. In my mind the roads are not wide enough for the current usage and are in need of widening ASAP, but where the money is coming from when the hospital is already in financial difficulties is hard to see. As widely reported elsewhere, the 38 also suffers from inconsiderate parking around Canterbury Road further delaying already late services. No wonder First is pulling out of bus operations!

Brendan

Post by Brendan » 01:39 Saturday 15th June 2019

Part of the issue is that now there are no or very few mini buses all routes will run with a vehicle up to 12m long. This makes the hospital very tight as when built the Mercedes Vario was the standard vehicle.

The estate roads around Ronkswood would not have been built with car ownership in mind or at least not at the rate we see today. So a longer vehicle world have been fine 40-50 years ago, just like a mini bus at a near instant frequency would have been close to perfect in the early 90's.

Now there is the perfect storm and something will give.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 17:16 Sunday 16th June 2019

Thanks for the link, busrinks !

DD12

Post by DD12 » 17:18 Sunday 16th June 2019

Brendan wrote:
01:39 Saturday 15th June 2019
Part of the issue is that now there are no or very few mini buses all routes will run with a vehicle up to 12m long. This makes the hospital very tight as when built the Mercedes Vario was the standard vehicle.

The estate roads around Ronkswood would not have been built with car ownership in mind or at least not at the rate we see today. So a longer vehicle world have been fine 40-50 years ago, just like a mini bus at a near instant frequency would have been close to perfect in the early 90's.

Now there is the perfect storm and something will give.
Good comments, Brendan !!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 18:35 Sunday 16th June 2019

I particularly like the County Councils proposal that more "home-to-school" transport should be considered for integration with public bus services -- -- I've long been a fan of this, (especially when DDs are used), and the vehicles used on public bus services before and after school-time journeys.

I have for many years been uncomfortable about the apparent number of school buses and coaches with small operators, that are not utilised for public bus services before and after schools, -- --
and I would like to see some "key" schools starting and finishing much earlier.

I would like to see, as a result, an enhanced morning peak network ( - First understandably run a minimum commercial one currently) , and the same ("extra") buses used in the afternoon "siege" (15.15 to 17.30 say) with maximum flexibility at Crowngate.

I would LIKE to see restrictions on CROSS-CITY car use during the peaks, but with good bus services to compensate, and Park + RIde near Dines Green (with a new link road from Powick to the A4103), and a Park + Ride at junction 6 of the M5, another at Droitwich, and one at Norton Parkway, ...... but now this fantasy is getting too silly, --
-- sorry !

DD12

Post by DD12 » 19:03 Sunday 16th June 2019

P.S. - I like the idea of "taking advantage" of the existing high frequency services 30 and 35( - extended to junction 6), to provide an East / West Park + Ride service, -- via a Lowesmoor Red Route (!).
(I would demolish some nearby buildings to provide replacement parking for Lowesmoor businesses).

-- O.K. Adam, -- you can kick me off the forum now !!

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 20:49 Sunday 16th June 2019

I have just filled in the survey - but I think that it is just lip service, and nothing will come out of it!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:28 Monday 17th June 2019

DD12 wrote:
19:03 Sunday 16th June 2019
P.S. - I like the idea of "taking advantage" of the existing high frequency services 30 and 35( - extended to junction 6), to provide an East / West Park + Ride service, -- via a Lowesmoor Red Route (!).
(I would demolish some nearby buildings to provide replacement parking for Lowesmoor businesses).

-- O.K. Adam, -- you can kick me off the forum now !!
🙄

Tempted 😜

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”