Price of single fare tickets on First bus Worcester services

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
AdamH

Re: Price of single fare tickets on First bus Worcester services

Post by AdamH » 11:52 Monday 13th May 2019

ex MRW wrote:
08:32 Monday 13th May 2019
According to the First website you can now use a Worcester City Area ticket to Malvern on Service 44. This would make the Daily price £4.70 on bus or £4 if purchased online.
Indeed it does. I have sent a screen shot to several drivers to ask if it’s correct and nobody seems to know anything about it... I’m sure that won’t surprise you!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 13:10 Monday 13th May 2019

Thanks very much "exMRW" and Adam !

That will certainly REVERSE the situation IF drivers are going to be "re-trained" to issue a City Unlimited Day ticket instead.
(I have made 2 journeys where I asked for a Day Return and was charged for a County Day Ticket).

Three points about this occur to me :-
Will drivers be willing to issue a City Unlimited Day ticket along the Malvern Road and at Lower Wick --towards Malvern (?)

.... and if I have a £4.70 City Unlimited Day ticket, and I re-board at Great Malvern to return to Crowngate, will the ticket machine and driver accept the ticket, without question ?

.... and, doesn't the promotional advert on the side of the dedicated "Malverns" buses say unlimited travel on Malvern and Worcester (City ?) services from £6 ?? -- -- I shall have to recheck that !

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 15:38 Monday 13th May 2019

Don’t get your hope up too soon. I’ve still not found a Worcester driver who knows anything about this. The website (and fares) are not done locally so it may be someone who doesn’t know the area has posted it by mistake. Possibly thinking about the London Road end of the route.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 17:10 Monday 13th May 2019

Its something to do with the M-Ticket app, and concerns Worcester weekly an monthly tickets. The area validity has been increased to Malvern, but there is a problem with the software as the Ticketer machines do not recognise it. Drivers have to manually register the ticket. So far, I have only encountered this with one passenger.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 16:44 Wednesday 15th May 2019

:!:
Thanks bmmoboy !
I have taken another look at the First Worcestershire website, and my revised understanding (or not) is as follows:-

(1) - click on TICKETS
(2) - click on TICKET PRICES
(3) - scroll-down to the selection of six ticket types ( - which include "Unlimited Direct Debit" tickets).
(4) - click on DAY
(5) - scroll down through the ZONES, to CITY
THIS is where the heading/caption/statement says "valid within the city boundary - city unlimited is also valid for the full route of The Malverns service 44 "

THIS (I believe) is where the confusion is being introduced, and the heading/caption/statement needs removing -- --

any potential passenger who has clicked on "DAY", has already chosen NOT to select "Unlimited Direct Debit" ( - which is where the information about the extended 44 availability should be confined to) -- --
AND, I think these people are likely to think that "city unlimited" in the heading/caption/statement about the extended 44 availability means the City ZONE (Day) ticket that they have selected (@ £4.70).

This is likely to cause aggravation between drivers and passengers who are being asked to pay £6.50, and worse still -- if a passenger has bought a City Day Ticket in Worcester and has ridden to Malvern, and tries to re-board in Malvern for the return journey, and is challenged or refused entry !!

If any of you disagree with my appraisal above, please let me know, as I will contact the company soon -- unless one of our members / drivers already has ??
-- and the matter is already "in-hand" ???
:?:

P.S. - Would it be better for First to change the name of "Unlimited Direct Debit" tickets to "Special Direct Debit" or "Direct Debit Special" tickets ? :D

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”