Price of single fare tickets on First bus Worcester services

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
TimBrown

Price of single fare tickets on First bus Worcester services

Post by TimBrown » 12:15 Saturday 4th May 2019

I have been told that the single fare in Worcester City is now £2-80 per adult paid on the bus (short trip fare unknown). I have been on the First Bus Worcester website and, try as I might, cannot find the information to verify this amount. There is plenty of information about all-day tickets, weekly tickets, monthly tickets, 5 trip tickets and 10 trip tickets all available if you own an expensive mobile with App facility. Apart from the well documented fact that I am being penalised for not owning such a mobile, why is it that if you put 'single fares Worcester First Bus' into browser that Arriva and Stagecoach links show up immediately with single fare information but diddly-squat from First bus?

Can anyone guide me to the link for such information from First Worcester please as I try to have correct fare ready if forced to travel before 09-30 Monday to Friday which may be the case as car will be off the road for a week very soon?

DD12

Re: Price of single fare tickets on First bus Worcester services

Post by DD12 » 18:21 Saturday 4th May 2019

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/fi ... es.175827/

Tim, - around about 6 - 9 months ago I put a post on here saying that I could not find info about Day Return fares (and singles) on First's website, and later I found this info on another forum -- --

I haven't read it yet, so it may or may not help you (or me) !! -- --

I have a plan of action soon to try and avoid paying £6.50 to go from Crowngate to Malvern Link Top, and back -- --
and that is to walk from my house near Diglis, via the pedestrian bridge, to Lower Wick to catch the 44 to Malvern Link CO-OP and ask for a Day Return ticket (and I'll walk the rest of the way !!).

IF the driver STILL wants £6.50 for a "County Day ticket" I will be very displeased !!

(P.S. - I'm sorry that walking is not an option for you).

Charliedaffin

Post by Charliedaffin » 18:42 Saturday 4th May 2019

I dont know how much an adult fare is, but i know that a child single from dines greet to town is £1.70, but I normally buy an Day ticket as for me they are better value

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:03 Saturday 4th May 2019

Just asked my son, the local fares within the City (adult single) are £1.30, £1.70, £2.40 and £2.80 depending on journey distance. He says a lot of the drivers feel embarrassed when they tell people how much it cost.

In contrast, the maximum Adult Single fare in Gloucester is £2.20 to the City boundary, or £4.50 for a day pass within the City. Both less than Worcester even though they are valid over a longer distance.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 09:42 Sunday 5th May 2019

AdamH wrote:
20:03 Saturday 4th May 2019
Just asked my son, the local fares within the City (adult single) are £1.30, £1.70, £2.40 and £2.80 depending on journey distance. He says a lot of the drivers feel embarrassed when they tell people how much it cost.

In contrast, the maximum Adult Single fare in Gloucester is £2.20 to the City boundary, or £4.50 for a day pass within the City. Both less than Worcester even though they are valid over a longer distance.
Thanks for the single fares in the City, I will have the right amount of cash if using the 07-25 service 37 into town in the next week or so. Car is being repaired after some kind person put a dent and two deep score marks in the driver's door of my Fabia whilst it was parked in the disabled bay at Tesco's Wood Green; may have been a car but modern front ends are smooth and made of glass fibre or plastic so doubtful that the damage caused that way, more likely a shopping trolley or powered wheelchair, but where the black paint deposit came from I'll probably never know as nobody left a note of apology accepting responsibility. One quote was in excess of £1,600 for a new door so I had to go through the insurance with all that involves - the joys of motoring :( !

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:24 Monday 6th May 2019

I'm sorry to hear that TIm. I hope it doesn't affect your renewal price too much.

That seems a huge disparity in fares for what are outwardly similar cities.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 06:33 Tuesday 7th May 2019

MattW wrote:
19:24 Monday 6th May 2019
I'm sorry to hear that TIm. I hope it doesn't affect your renewal price too much.

That seems a huge disparity in fares for what are outwardly similar cities.
I tried Chips Away, sent an e-mail with photos of the damage but they didn't even want to quote - said more good news it needs a repair shop! If the amount to repair was say £400 I would have taken the hit so to speak as I have to pay £200 excess anyway. The renewal might bring a nasty surprise even with no-claims bonus protection, as my age also brings additional premium hikes.

With regard to the high single bus fares in Worcester, I guess it explains why you see so many potential passengers walking into the Centre even on the high frequency routes like the 35.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 21:51 Friday 10th May 2019

I now know that the Day Return fare between Lower Wick and Malvern Link (Co-op) is £6.50,
IE:- it's the County Day ticket; and the single fare is £4.40 !!

Even though I'm "far from skint", £6.50 discourages me from making the LONGER return trip between Crowngate and Malvern Link Top, so I imagine it will also discourage the large populations who live in and around St.Johns, the Malvern Road, Lower Wick, and Malvern Link from making shorter return-journeys that still cost £6.50 !!
-- -- We can ride all day, all over FMR's patch for £6.50, so there appears to be a pricing error here !

I can see certain commercial opportunities opening-up for competitors in and around Worcester.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 08:30 Saturday 11th May 2019

DD12 wrote:
21:51 Friday 10th May 2019
I now know that the Day Return fare between Lower Wick and Malvern Link (Co-op) is £6.50,
IE:- it's the County Day ticket; and the single fare is £4.40 !!

Even though I'm "far from skint", £6.50 discourages me from making the LONGER return trip between Crowngate and Malvern Link Top, so I imagine it will also discourage the large populations who live in and around St.Johns, the Malvern Road, Lower Wick, and Malvern Link from making shorter return-journeys that still cost £6.50 !!
-- -- We can ride all day, all over FMR's patch for £6.50, so there appears to be a pricing error here !

I can see certain commercial opportunities opening-up for competitors in and around Worcester.
For comparison purposes train fares between Worcester Shrub Hill/Foregate Street to Great Malvern and/or Malvern Link are;

Anytime Day Return £6-10 (£4-05 with Railcard).
Evening Return after 18-00 hours £3-80.

Fares available on both companies operating on this route i.e. GWR (First) and West Midlands Railway (Abellio) trains.

ex MRW

Post by ex MRW » 08:32 Monday 13th May 2019

According to the First website you can now use a Worcester City Area ticket to Malvern on Service 44. This would make the Daily price £4.70 on bus or £4 if purchased online.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”