Engine Upgrades

Vehicle and Fleet discussions for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

Engine Upgrades

Post by DD12 » 17:05 Tuesday 9th April 2019

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/17 ... e-bus-use/

Apparently "the whole fleet" will be fitted with upgraded or euro6 engines !
This is excellent news, and a real surprise, because I'm not aware of Worcester or South Worcestershire getting any grant money for this, other than some for the Salt Road buses.

Of course IF Worcester imposes and ENFORCES "Clean Air" restrictions etc, that could FORCE some fare-paying passengers onto the buses (perhaps at certain times of the day ?)

:idea: :?:

Speedbird297

Re: Engine Upgrades

Post by Speedbird297 » 20:18 Tuesday 9th April 2019

The article above really makes me smile and feel that the politicians in charge of Worcester aren’t that against buses and public transport. Regarding the newer (more eco friendly) engines for the whole fleet, can all the buses (especially the older B7TL’s) in the fleet accommodate better engines? Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question :?

willr7

Post by willr7 » 21:40 Tuesday 9th April 2019

That’s very Interesting and very unexpected! I would think that this will be happening across most of First’s (and other operators) fleets over the next few years as pressures increase to reduce emissions in cities across the country.

If the whole Worcester fleet is receiving engine upgrades, I wonder what will happen with the older vehicles such as the 2 remaining older solo’s and the older DDs & the 3 Dart’s that are due to be reinstated as I would think that they probably have older engines that cannot be upgraded (I may be wrong!)

Nigel Eggleton states that over half the fleet has already been upgraded, so I wonder if any of the Citaro’s (including the older ones) have been done yet?

Birmingham_Bus

Post by Birmingham_Bus » 07:37 Wednesday 10th April 2019

In regards to older vehicles being upgraded, NXWM have upgraded 51 plate Volvo B7TLs and 52 plate Tridents to Euro 6 so I assume Worcester’s are possible too 8-)

The best thing to come out of this for me will be a largely improved variety on the 144 again, of course when Salt Roads are not available! Good to see the whole fleet being done though, Worcester is certainly not somewhere I would have expected to get such treatment

willr7

Post by willr7 » 18:09 Wednesday 10th April 2019

Birmingham_Bus wrote:
07:37 Wednesday 10th April 2019
In regards to older vehicles being upgraded, NXWM have upgraded 51 plate Volvo B7TLs and 52 plate Tridents to Euro 6 so I assume Worcester’s are possible too 8-)

The best thing to come out of this for me will be a largely improved variety on the 144 again, of course when Salt Roads are not available! Good to see the whole fleet being done though, Worcester is certainly not somewhere I would have expected to get such treatment
Tanks for pointing this out :D

willr7

Post by willr7 » 18:15 Wednesday 10th April 2019

DD12 wrote:
17:05 Tuesday 9th April 2019
https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/17 ... e-bus-use/

Apparently "the whole fleet" will be fitted with upgraded or euro6 engines !
This is excellent news, and a real surprise, because I'm not aware of Worcester or South Worcestershire getting any grant money for this, other than some for the Salt Road buses.

Of course IF Worcester imposes and ENFORCES "Clean Air" restrictions etc, that could FORCE some fare-paying passengers onto the buses (perhaps at certain times of the day ?)

:idea: :?:
There is a possibility that Worcester News is getting confused with this information...
In an article in CBW (https://cbwmagazine.com/first-midlands- ... er-fleets/) it suggests that it is only the Leicester fleet that is receiving this engine upgrade work.

Nigel Eggleton: “We were delighted last week to receive funding from DEFRA for just shy of £950,000, which will enable us to upgrade the exhaust systems in the Leicester fleet. We have 46 vehicles to do prior to the LEZ coming in next year, and there will probably be some internal vehicle movements going on. For example, we have just taken five 59-plate Volvo B7TL-bodied Wright Eclipse Urban 2s from First West of England, which will be part of the retrofit programme.”

There is no mention of such work being done to Worcester’s vehicles (or any funding for Worcester) other than the mention of the 12 salt road vehicles (which have all already been upgraded)

But still, this is good news for Leicester and I’m sure Worcester’s vehicles will see upgrades in the future! I would think that First need to focus on upgrading fleets in areas such as Leicester that are needing to meet LEZ requirements first (As far as I’m aware there are no plans for Worcester bringing any LEZ requirements at present...)

Hope this added information helps (although I still may be wrong and maybe Mr Eggleton’s information has not been fully presented! :? )

DD12

Post by DD12 » 19:50 Wednesday 10th April 2019

Thanks for that info Willr7, -- -- Oh Dear ! -- I guess you are right :cry:

I have now remembered the old adage -- "if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't (true)" !!

willr7

Post by willr7 » 20:17 Wednesday 10th April 2019

DD12 wrote:
19:50 Wednesday 10th April 2019
Thanks for that info Willr7, -- -- Oh Dear ! -- I guess you are right :cry:

I have now remembered the old adage -- "if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't (true)" !!
Very true! I thought I better do some digging before we all got too excited :lol:

Reddibus

Post by Reddibus » 18:54 Thursday 11th April 2019

The West Midlands Combined Authority has received funding from DfT to help operators upgrade their buses to Euro VI standard. The lions share of the money will go to NXWM as the largest operator in the area but other operators will benefit. First Midland Red will get funding from this pot to upgrade all the Salt Line green single deckers plus the spare Mercedes liveried vehicles.

With the forthcoming Clean air zone in Birmingham City Centre and in a number of other locations mainly in Wolverhampton and Coventry that have high levels of pollution vehicles operating in those areas are being targeted first.

The West Midlands Metro Mayor has gone on record in saying he wants all 2,300 buses operating the WMCA area to be upgraded or replaced so all buses by the end of 2020 are at least Euro VI emission standard. Funding to do this is being sought though the various fund thus far obtained goes a long way to achieving this. NXWM have a business objective to be completely Euro VI or better by the end of 2020.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 19:04 Thursday 11th April 2019

Thanks very much for that info Reddibus !

Return to “Fleet Discussion”