Worcester's DD usage.

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

Re: Worcester's DD usage.

Post by DD12 » 18:14 Wednesday 25th July 2018

Thanks very much willr7, I shall study that and make notes ! ;)

Today, the 16.35 333 from Worcester was a single-decker, and I am wondering if the various services that have been disrupted, are needing extra buses to be put-on at Crowngate (including the DDs) ?

I'm confused by the information that has been put out -- that Angel Street has been closed, but the only diversion mentioned, is the one affecting services to the south (only) !
That doesn't make sense to me, so can anyone clarify it please ? :roll: :roll: :roll:

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 19:35 Wednesday 25th July 2018

Can’t give a direct answer because I’ve been on leave, but it should be noted that on Monday and Tuesday there was a hybrid schedule as some schools were closed while others were still open. Also, on Tuesday some closed early so, for example, the 674 ran at lunch time.

willr7

Post by willr7 » 10:40 Thursday 26th July 2018

Oh, I see! I wasn't aware of the Angel street closure until now. That would make sense though as like you say spare DD buses might be put into service to prevent major late running!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 22:06 Friday 27th July 2018

willr7 wrote:
16:00 Wednesday 25th July 2018
Further investigation suggests that as it's the school holidays the DD may stay on the X50 for the rest of the day operating a further 4 journeys (the NSD 1510 X50 to Evesham & NSD 1605 X50 to Worcester and then possibly operate the 1710 & 1810 back to Worcester which would normally be operated by a Streetlite Max on School days (Card 27) 8-)
Today, I was outside WR Hospital at around 09.45, when 32067 came along on the 44, and I saw it again, a lot later, on the 44 to the Hospital again.

Later still, it was on the 17.10 Crowngate departure of the X50 -- all of which matches card 27 (schooldays graph) - thanks willr7, - I might not have noticed this.

And, in-line with your observations, the X50 was also being worked by DD -- 33404 -- the 11.10 Crowngate departure at least ( - card 57 schooldays), but it was taken off by / before the 17.10 departure above --

Does anyone know what duty 33404 did next ??

(Here's a clue -- it's the splendid RED one :) )

willr7

Post by willr7 » 23:42 Friday 27th July 2018

DD12 wrote:
22:06 Friday 27th July 2018
And, in-line with your observations, the X50 was also being worked by DD -- 33404 -- the 11.10 Crowngate departure at least ( - card 57 schooldays), but it was taken off by / before the 17.10 departure above --
I’m glad you saw 33404 as that reminds me I also saw it earlier today on what must have been the 9.10 X50 from Worcester to Evesham not sure what it was doing later on though :D

DD12

Post by DD12 » 19:48 Saturday 28th July 2018

Well I've had my wishes granted !!

First, - a DD on weekdays X50 (Summer school holiday), and now one on a Saturday as well !

I saw 32067 today, and assume it must have done the 08.10 departure from Crowngate, and then every two hours.
(The other bus used, was a Volvo / Plaxton Centro).

Since around 2004 here have been various periods when DDs have (and haven't) been used on various journeys between Worcester, Pershore, and Evesham, but I don't remember any on a Saturday before.

-- Of course, it might not continue beyond the school hols, and it might only happen when there's a shortage of single-deckers, but as mentioned before, current (best) loadings, plus new housing and the new Norton Parkway rail station could warrant a service and vehicle upgrade.

I would like to see First run a DD in public service between new housing in the Norton area to the Parkway Station and Pershore High School -- replacing an Astons (DD) school contract.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 11:55 Sunday 9th September 2018

A note regarding the use of a double-deck on Service 418...

This hasn't worked out as well as hoped as most of the Seasonal Workers continue to use Service 417 which is restricted to a single-deck because of the low trees in Cradley village. Yesterday (Saturday 8th September) a manager went for a ride on a 417 through Cradley and concluded the trees wouldn't have to be cut back too much to safely get a double-deck through the village... I'm sure you can guess where this is going! :lol:

I doubt much will get done before the end of the 2018 season, but if the local authorities agree to cut back the trees you may well see all 417 workings converted to double-deck for the 2019 season, on Saturdays at least.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 16:22 Sunday 9th September 2018

AdamH wrote:
11:55 Sunday 9th September 2018
A note regarding the use of a double-deck on Service 418...

This hasn't worked out as well as hoped as most of the Seasonal Workers continue to use Service 417 which is restricted to a single-deck because of the low trees in Cradley village. Yesterday (Saturday 8th September) a manager went for a ride on a 417 through Cradley and concluded the trees wouldn't have to be cut back too much to safely get a double-deck through the village... I'm sure you can guess where this is going! :lol:

I doubt much will get done before the end of the 2018 season, but if the local authorities agree to cut back the trees you may well see all 417 workings converted to double-deck for the 2019 season, on Saturdays at least.
Thanks very much for that news Adam -- you can guess who would be "thrilled" if that happens !!
-- Does that mean that the PM 418 is likely to be a single-decker until the end of this season ??

When I saw that you had posted something new about WR's DD usage, my heart sank a bit, because along with the service cuts, I've been expecting FMR to be looking at ways to replace to replace the 3 oldest DDs which might possibly involve single-deckers, and a reduction in DDs.

I was hoping that "we" would get a couple of (new or) cascaded Euro 6 DDs that could be well-used on the short 144 and 144A, the same as now -- before or after school+college duties, but the news that two more single-deckers are to painted green and upgraded, makes that less likely.

(Although the Birmingham CAZ has just passed another stage, and has only to be "ticked-off" by parliament now).

I realise that "our" school+college services will be unchanged from the 17th, and I'm hoping that the 15.00 363 from Worcester will once again use the DD that is currently used on the 14.35 333 (- but which will become the 332, thus preventing the use of the DD).

Also, I am concerned about the fact that none of the DDs have been repainted for many years, even though they are used on public services, and I'm worried that if the WORST scenario happens, and First sell FMR to Rotala/ Diamond, THEY will try to get rid of as many (shabby, old) DDs as possible.

Returning to the 417 -- I always hope that MORE DD's can penetrate rural areas to do school-time journeys, and provide some rural public services before and after. ( - Herefordshire might be more willing to help cut trees than Worcestershire, but they cannot do much about the narrow country roads !)

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 16:27 Sunday 9th September 2018

DD12 wrote:
16:22 Sunday 9th September 2018
-- Does that mean that the PM 418 is likely to be a single-decker until the end of this season ??
Unlikely. It's inter-worked with other services and there is little point in changing it so near to the end of the season.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 22:02 Sunday 9th September 2018

AdamH wrote:
16:27 Sunday 9th September 2018
DD12 wrote:
16:22 Sunday 9th September 2018
Unlikely. It's inter-worked with other services and there is little point in changing it so near to the end of the season.
That's good ! - Thanks Adam.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”