How the Other Half Live!

chason

How the Other Half Live!

Post by chason » 09:16 Friday 11th May 2018

For those who think that bus fares are expensive, how about this?

Yesterday Mrs C and I did a day trip to Edinburgh by train, Fortunately, we booked a couple of months in advance and our First Class tickets from Birmingham set us back £74 for the two of us in each direction with our Senior Railcards. However, the fares included a cooked breakfast, other refreshments and as much coffee, soft and alcoholic drinks as we wanted. The Virgin Trains Pendolinos there and back were dead on time, clean, speedy and comfortable and the staff and service very efficient and we had a great day out with no hitches.

What was amazing, however, was that our booking confirmation revealed that by booking so far in advance, we had saved, wait for it, £677 over the price of pay on the day flexible tickets! That made having to fork out £12 for a days parking at Birmingham International almost palatable. Also, perhaps it puts into perspective, the recently announced increase in bus fares and makes you ask would anyone really pay over £800 for exactly the same day out we had?

AdamH

Re: How the Other Half Live!

Post by AdamH » 14:49 Friday 11th May 2018

That’s a bit steep! The last time I flew to Edinburgh it cost just over £100 for the return flight from Birmingham Airport.

MattW

Post by MattW » 18:11 Friday 11th May 2018

You could buy at least one of my car collection and have enough for a couple of tanks of fuel for that!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:03 Friday 11th May 2018

It really does seem like they are not in tune with reality. You can fly up, hire a reasonable car, pay your hotel bill, and fly back for that!

chason

Post by chason » 08:38 Saturday 12th May 2018

It's been the same for a long time. I can remember a trip to London around 15 years ago. Going off peak and booking a long way ahead I paid under £20 for a first class return from Birmingham. As we tucked in to our included Great British Breakfast, I could see the ticket of the businessman sitting opposite me - it cost him (or more likely his employer) £180. We both enjoyed exactly the same service - free nosh, newspaper and drink, reserved seat, use of the First Class Lounge etc. It makes no sense at all.

Return to “Trains”