The 35

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

The 35

Post by DD12 » 14:59 Friday 16th February 2018

Because of the rumour that Worcester might get 10 year old Mercedes Citaros, and use them on the 35, I've referred to the bus graph to see what the current allocation is; -- I had noticed that much newer StreetLites were often on it, but I was shocked to find that just 5 StreetLites provide the main daytime service Mon - Fri; -- I had it as more in my tiny mind !

One thing I've often wondered about is -
when I drive my car down Rainbow Hill towards Lowesmoor, there is usually a long line of parked cars on the left that is very difficult to "overtake", because of the opposing traffic coming UP the hill, so I wonder how bus drivers manage it ??

TimBrown

Re: The 35

Post by TimBrown » 15:48 Friday 16th February 2018

DD12 wrote:
14:59 Friday 16th February 2018
Because of the rumour that Worcester might get 10 year old Mercedes Citaros, and use them on the 35, I've referred to the bus graph to see what the current allocation is; -- I had noticed that much newer StreetLites were often on it, but I was shocked to find that just 5 StreetLites provide the main daytime service Mon - Fri; -- I had it as more in my tiny mind !

One thing I've often wondered about is -
when I drive my car down Rainbow Hill towards Lowesmoor, there is usually a long line of parked cars on the left that is very difficult to "overtake", because of the opposing traffic coming UP the hill, so I wonder how bus drivers manage it ??
Lowesmoor itself is not a choice area to manoeuvre a 12 metre bus, not to mention the narrowed road by the pedestrian crossing adjacent to Rainbow Hill shops and the pinch-point under Brickfields Road railway bridge. Its also a tight squeeze coming into Angel street opposite McDonalds from St Nicholas Street - all roads seemingly never changed since 'horse and cart' days!

When I was a driver (many moons ago), parked cars on some of Warndon's roads presented quite a challenge too! Has that changed I wonder?

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 16:04 Friday 16th February 2018

Nothing has changed - in fact it has got worse over the past few years. A couple of years ago the council decided to limit parking on Rainbow Hill, unfortunately they only did about 30 yards, so there is still parking towards the top of the hill. There is one van that has been parked there and as far as I can ascertain, has not moved since before Christmas! With regards to the previous question about how drivers cope, I simply drive past the parked vehicles and make cars coming up the hill move over, after all, when we drive up the hill, cars come down, so there must be enough room for a bus and a car to pass.
I agree with Tim that the narrow crossing by the Vauxhall is awkward, and the railway bridge by the Chequers is a nightmare, I have had several near misses there over the past few weeks.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 17:14 Friday 16th February 2018

Thanks Guys !

DD12

Post by DD12 » 18:21 Friday 16th February 2018

My guess is that the area around the Chequers and railway bridge needs re-modelling to include modern coordinated traffic lights that also give priority to buses, and --
the area around the Vauxhall Inn needs re-modelling with perhaps two crossings, but with the removal of the existing one with that awkward jutting -out kerb.

A glimmer of hope is that the council has just introduced a one-way system for a street in the area -- so, "you never know ......"

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 18:48 Friday 16th February 2018

That route was much nicer (and quicker) when we had minibuses.

MattW

Post by MattW » 16:56 Saturday 17th February 2018

bmmoboy wrote:
16:04 Friday 16th February 2018
With regards to the previous question about how drivers cope, I simply drive past the parked vehicles and make cars coming up the hill move over, after all, when we drive up the hill, cars come down, so there must be enough room for a bus and a car to pass.
Nice one. If in doubt flat out as I alway say.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 16:08 Friday 23rd February 2018

There's a brief article on Worcester News this afternoon, "to say" there's a broken down bus stuck at the "Chequers" roundabout --

it doesn't show a bus in the photo, and doesn't say if it's one of First's ;)

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:03 Friday 23rd February 2018

I had a text message from one of our drivers...
Attachments
brokedown.jpg

MattW

Post by MattW » 20:51 Friday 23rd February 2018

That bloke outside the pub's enjoying himself - not only has he got off work early and gone for a few pints, First have laid on entertainment :lol:

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”