Further media coverage about Worcesters diminishing bus services

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
bmmoboy

Further media coverage about Worcesters diminishing bus services

Post by bmmoboy » 20:11 Monday 21st October 2019

In tonight's Worcester News, there is an article with residents of the Bevere area complaining about the reduction in services. Articles like this have been published before but this one is different - I actually recognise most of the people in the photograph as being regular passengers! (including a forum member)

TimBrown

Re: Further media coverage about Worcesters diminishing bus services

Post by TimBrown » 02:05 Tuesday 22nd October 2019

bmmoboy wrote:
20:11 Monday 21st October 2019
In tonight's Worcester News, there is an article with residents of the Bevere area complaining about the reduction in services. Articles like this have been published before but this one is different - I actually recognise most of the people in the photograph as being regular passengers! (including a forum member)
I wonder who the forum member is?
Link to article;
https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/17 ... -isolated/

MattW

Post by MattW » 16:44 Tuesday 22nd October 2019

I reckon the dodgy one at the back :lol:
Everyone looks suitably glum - would have been nice if the good old Worcester News could have used a spell check on the caption though.....
In fairness it is much further than you might think from the deepest parts of the estate out to the main road - of course Diamond could divert the 303, but then they would have to choose which bit of the main road to miss out!
Hopefully a solution can be found ASAP.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 08:13 Thursday 24th October 2019

With regards to the Worcester News caption, it is just par for the course, as there are dozens of mistakes littered throughout the publication. As a former employee of the News, I cringe when I see the lack of quality of the paper. The problem lies in the fact that it is subbed in Newport, South Wales, and to be quite honest, they don't give a ****. They have little or no knowledge of the area and have no interest in the residents of Worcester. I have given up complaining up to the Editor.
Sorry to go off subject.

PS Yes, I also think there is a dodgy looking character lurking in the background!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 10:00 Thursday 24th October 2019

Here is link to some of Worcester news reader's responses;

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/17 ... s-service/

The comment about bus passes is relevant, because the majority of passengers are retired and on limited pension income. I have always thought that many of our Worcester city services couldn't survive without the Concessionary pass money from Worcs. C.C.

I was very surprised last Saturday to see a regular 20 minute frequency service on the 32 to St Peters which used to be a through service to Green Lane not so long ago. Whenever I go to St Peters I see just as many cars in the residents' drives as in the Bevere area, so just what is that makes it justifiable to run three buses an hour to St Peters and enforce a Saturday curfew in Bevere. Are the fares much lower along Bath Road and St Peters Drive, or does First promote the route more heavily? Does Ombersley Road suffer from having a 15 minute frequency 144 running parallel for nearly a mile along Droitwich Road to say the now defunct Raven/Perdiswell P&R sites and are the hourly Diamond 303 buses offering a better alternative since they became the only bus out of the City after 18-00 hours about 18 months or so ago?

I ask these questions because I also see that First is offering a 5 for £5 ticket at weekends which is rubbing salt into the wound and certainly kicking sand into the face of any youngsters without transport in this neck of the woods, pushing them into their parent's cars and setting a trend for later life!

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 10:52 Thursday 24th October 2019

bmmoboy wrote:
08:13 Thursday 24th October 2019
. The problem lies in the fact that it is subbed in Newport, South Wales, and to be quite honest, they don't give a ****. They have little or no knowledge of the area and have no interest in the residents of Worcester.
Hmmmm. A bit like First Bus ?? ?? Or is that a little severe ?? ?? :roll: :lol:

DD12

Post by DD12 » 13:10 Thursday 24th October 2019

I have posted this link to the Worcester Bus Users Forum, because I find the reply from First about the 34 not going to Tesco, very interesting.
I have a lot of sympathy with the predicament that First find themselves in -- with multiple problems, -- a likely one being maximum pressure from the very top of First Group for a ruthless drive for profit ( - in the short-term) --
that's to help with the groups debt and pensions deficit, and to make the individual operating companies' profit look as good as possible for possible sell-offs.

The apparent inability of the city and county councils (and the police) to do anything about Lowesmoor is just one of the problems.

http://www.worcesterbusforum.org.uk/

:cry:

MattW

Post by MattW » 16:32 Thursday 24th October 2019

ANDREW wrote:
10:52 Thursday 24th October 2019
Or is that a little severe ?? ?? :roll: :lol:
No :lol:

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 10:12 Tuesday 29th October 2019

There was a bit of a chat going on at The Salt Rd Goddess launch about the 37 and Bevere situation and wether Diamond could run their 303 around the Beckett Rd / Grange Ave loop.

Maybe other alternatives could be LMS extend the 39 from Blackpole along Bilford Rd, Coombs Road and round the loop or Kev's 355 could come out of Cornmeadow Lane and go around the loop maybe.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 15:36 Saturday 9th November 2019

Looks like the persistence of a forum member and several others have managed to obtain a u-turn.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/18 ... lsADVwOTWw

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”