Double Deckers

Vehicle and Fleet discussions for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
bmmoboy

Double Deckers

Post by bmmoboy » 21:51 Wednesday 8th May 2019

I heard today from a very reliable source that the Tridents and Volvo Alexander ALX400s are expected to be replaced sometime this year as the MD thinks they are looking tired and rather scruffy. The replacements will be coming from another fleet, and I would think that Volvo/Wright vehicles will be cascaded from elsewhere. Further details to follow. Not too sure about 33404, but perhaps the MD can be persuaded to have another depot "Pet"

Charliedaffin

Re: Double Deckers

Post by Charliedaffin » 22:22 Wednesday 8th May 2019

Fingers crossed for some enviro 400s 🤞

willr7

Post by willr7 » 08:40 Thursday 9th May 2019

Fantastic, Thanks for sharing!

Is it possible that newer vehicles based at the Manchester depots could be transferred out to other areas to replace older vehicles which could them be sent up there? One depot is already sold to Go-Ahead...

DD12

Post by DD12 » 16:29 Thursday 9th May 2019

bmmoboy wrote:
21:51 Wednesday 8th May 2019
I heard today from a very reliable source that the Tridents and Volvo Alexander ALX400s are expected to be replaced sometime this year as the MD thinks they are looking tired and rather scruffy. The replacements will be coming from another fleet, and I would think that Volvo/Wright vehicles will be cascaded from elsewhere. Further details to follow. Not too sure about 33404, but perhaps the MD can be persuaded to have another depot "Pet"
I will be very sad when 33401-05 go !
- Even now, they are very smooth riding and quiet on the upper deck, with a much better view than the StreetDecks,

Maybe the MD will consider keeping 33404 as a Trainer that could be shared with Leicester and Potteries, but I think Stoke's 32081 is a more likely candidate for that.

Happily, if they do go anytime soon, they are not likely to be scrapped as First has LOTS of older DDs still. (Which gives me time to win the lottery, and preserve one !).

Two good things about replacing them soon, with newer ones -- is they should be more suitable for upgrading to Euro 6 when that becomes necessary; -- and I'd prefer to get good replacements ASAP in case First decide to sell-off more bits of UK bus, including some to "cheap and nasty" operators !

Another possibility that "worries me" is that we MIGHT lose our Euro 6 StreetDecks at the same time (?) -- IE: to Leicester. (Although IF they are going to be unreliable and troublesome, maybe that would be for the best ?)

willr7

Post by willr7 » 18:18 Wednesday 22nd May 2019

Just a thought - These newer DDs could possibly come from First West Yorkshire (Leeds) as they have and still are receiving new StreetDecks!

This means that in return some of there older DDs should be displaced. It appears that this is/will be the case as some of there Volvo B9TL's have started to move to other places - apparently, 5 have/will move to First Kernow and also Leicester might get 4 to replace there 4 older B7L's!

So maybe Worcester will get there 6 or 7 replacements from Leeds too! :?:

DD12

Post by DD12 » 20:52 Wednesday 22nd May 2019

willr7 wrote:
18:18 Wednesday 22nd May 2019
Just a thought - These newer DDs could possibly come from First West Yorkshire (Leeds) as they have and still are receiving new StreetDecks!

This means that in return some of there older DDs should be displaced. It appears that this is/will be the case as some of there Volvo B9TL's have started to move to other places - apparently, 5 have/will move to First Kernow and also Leicester might get 4 to replace there 4 older B7L's!

So maybe Worcester will get there 6 or 7 replacements from Leeds too! :?:
If we must lose 33401-5, I would be quite happy with Volvo B9TLs -- -- they have traditional, fairly big 9 litre engines, good styling, and a good view out of the top deck windows (although some may have a big square "TV screen" at the front, spoiling it).

As Leicester are supposedly expecting 4 of them, that could mean WR getting some of their old B7TLs (perhaps to replace 32066,67 at least).

With all the shenanigans that are going on surrounding the very top and structure of First Group, I guess it would be best if FMR gets the best possible DDs before it's too late !!

willr7

Post by willr7 » 21:25 Wednesday 22nd May 2019

Yes, I am a definitely a fan of the Volvo B9TL's styling! They also seem to have big/wide windows to look out of (the opposite to the StreetDeck's, which have very narrow windows upstairs!)

Also, the advantage to the B9TL is that they are probably up to Euro 5 standards - considerably better than our current DDs which I'm guessing are no higher than Euro 3 or maybe Euro 4 standards?

bringstybeast

Post by bringstybeast » 22:27 Wednesday 22nd May 2019

If we're going down the route of speculation, should be noted that there should be at least some Bristol Geminis getting freed up before the end of the year. The cynic in me thinks these better fit the age profile of recent transfers in! (Personally, I think the older B9s run better)

willr7

Post by willr7 » 20:10 Friday 9th August 2019

bmmoboy wrote:
21:51 Wednesday 8th May 2019
As we know Rotala/Diamond NW takes over First Greater Manchester's Bolton Depot on Sunday (11th August)

Rotala has already sourced/purchased around 35 vehicles in preparation for the takeover so they are only leasing 125 vehicles from First (these will return to First once replaced by new vehicles over a 2 year period) - This means that initially there will be around 35 vehicles surplus to First's requirements from Sunday onwards.

Looking at the official Rotala list - there will be 43 vehicles from the current Bolton allocation that are not going to be hired by Rotala (plus the additional 25 Vantage vehicles which will be retained and still operated by FGM), this will leave a batch of 32 Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini's - I would presume that these will be cascaded around the group with maybe only a few being retained by FGM for use at Oldham.

Maybe at least some or hopefully a full fleet of 11 will find their way to Worcester to replace our older DDs and even the StreetDecks seeing as they will be required for Leicester's LEZ! :D

Also, it was mentioned that considering the recent transfers in that any new DD would likely not be new (under say 8 years old) These B9TL at Manchester would fit the current age of Worcester's fleet as they are 2008/9 which matches the newer Citaro's which are 2007/8 and Salt Road which are 2009.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 05:21 Saturday 10th August 2019

I believe some of that fleet are heading to the Midlands, but not Worcester and not double-decks! Nine StreetLites to Leicester and three to Potteries have been mentioned elsewhere.

Return to “Fleet Discussion”