The MR Atlanteans that never were!

Discussions about the vehicles operated by Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO — Midland "Red" Motor Services).
Ridercross

The MR Atlanteans that never were!

Post by Ridercross » 10:42 Sunday 23rd August 2020

The excellent Oxford and Chilterns pus page has some photos this week of the MCW bodied Atlanteans that were diverted to London Country in Autumn 1972 instead of being delivered to MR.

https://www.oxford-chiltern-bus-page.co ... 577-GF.jpg

https://www.oxford-chiltern-bus-page.co ... 480-GF.jpg

https://www.oxford-chiltern-bus-page.co ... 680-GF.jpg

https://www.oxford-chiltern-bus-page.co ... 584-GF.jpg

Perhaps unsurprisingly there is in my opinion a huge similarity between these MCW bodied buses and the MCW (and Park Royal) bodied Fleetlines that were being built for the WMPTE at the same time.

Wouldn't it have been interesting to have seen these Atlanteans working in the West Midlands alongside those PTE Fleetlines, as it's quite likely that these decker's would have been sent to work the busy West Midlands routes or MR.

Perhaps some of them might even have been transferred to the PTE and repainted.

Anyway that's enough Sunday Morning daydreaming :D

DD12

Re: The MR Atlanteans that never were!

Post by DD12 » 21:11 Wednesday 2nd September 2020

Thanks Ridercross !!

I assume that the local identity Ridercross, which was applied to Banbury based Midland Red buses in the late 70s, was based on the folk song - - "Ride a red horse (bus) to Banbury Cross, to see a white(?) lady upon a red horse ...... " (?)

I also think I'm correct in saying that the name was never applied to any double-deckers (?)

A further 20 Atlanteans were allocated to Midland Red out of the National Bus Company orders for 1975 or 1975/76, and in the unofficial fleet list published by Bradley and Slater, they were listed as 516-535.

I believe they were to have Park Royal bodies (?) -- and if so, wouldn't that have made them unique in the Midland Red fleet ?

Unfortunately, this order for 20 was changed to Leyland Nationals, and PROBABLY before any specific chassis numbers, "bodying", and delivery schedules had been finalised -- -- therefore I don't think any specific vehicles can be identified as having been diverted from Midland Red (???)

I was particularly upset at this "cancellation" at the time, but it had the side-effect that a lot of DD12s were given an overhaul at 12 years of age, and one of the 149 has survived and been restored !!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 09:02 Thursday 3rd September 2020

DD12 wrote:
21:11 Wednesday 2nd September 2020
Thanks Ridercross !!

A further 20 Atlanteans were allocated to Midland Red out of the National Bus Company orders for 1975 or 1975/76, and in the unofficial fleet list published by Bradley and Slater, they were listed as 516-535.

I believe they were to have Park Royal bodies (?) -- and if so, wouldn't that have made them unique in the Midland Red fleet ?
Have checked records and BMMO operated a small number of double-deckers with Park Royal bodywork in 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s;

Nine BMMO type REDD Guy Arab Mk II utility with H30/26R bodywork built 1944;

2570/1/2 HHA 22/3/4
2580 - 2585 HHA 57 - 62

Twenty BMMO Type GD6 Guy Arab Mk III with Guy/Park Royal H30/26R bodywork built during 1949;

3557 - 3576 MHA 57 - 76 (All based at Dudley garage) I believe these were the only Guy buses to be retro-fitted with BMMO 8 litre engines, reputedly removed from withdrawn pre-war FEDDs. They performed quite well with this engine and were a favourite of mine as they looked more like pre-war buses than the Midland Red 'tin front' D5, D5(B) and D7
types.

chason

Post by chason » 09:18 Thursday 3rd September 2020

Dudley garage provided some duplicates on the 144 on Bank Holidays when the occasional GD6 was to be seen in Malvern. Compared to the BMMO post war double deckers they always looked much older than they were. The BMMO engines were less powerful than the originals and were fitted because the fuel consumption was too high although it made them less suitable for the hilly Black Country routes (as well as the climb up to Link Top!).

JustinTyme

Post by JustinTyme » 20:01 Thursday 3rd September 2020

I recall Atlanteans being ordered in the 1970s. The 1971 order was for no fewer than 118, 50 with MCW bodies and 68 with Alexanders.

The other 20 MCWs were diverted to Maidstone & District. Being single door and with 3-piece destination blinds, they must have been almost to Midland Red spec. Some of them were upgraded to DPs around 1980 for Invicta coach services, so they must have been well regarded.

The Alexanders went to Merseyside PTE didn't they?

It was a great pity that none of them reached Midland Red. In my opinion the single deck policy during the 1970s was a big mistake. Replacing full double decks (at least at peak times) with single decks was bound to drive passengers away - and certainly did in my neck of the woods.

Return to “Midland "Red" Fleet”