BaMMOT Event day Monday 29 August 2016

Discussions about the Bus and Coach Preservation scene for Midland "Red" Motor Services and related companies.
Matt560Breese

Re: BaMMOT Event day Monday 29 August 2016

Post by Matt560Breese » 20:46 Tuesday 30th August 2016

I thought it was a wonderful event and was there both days with 620 as Photographs show

MattW

Post by MattW » 22:16 Tuesday 30th August 2016

She looks great mate you've obviously been working hard :)

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 09:15 Wednesday 31st August 2016

JustinTyme wrote:
20:34 Tuesday 30th August 2016
I was also at Wythall on Monday - and not living far away I was able to get there and back entirely by bus, which added to the enjoyment!

I agree totally with Tim. My first ride was on BCT 2548 which really is in beautiful condition. LD8 4031 was also immaculate and a joy to ride on. I used to travel to school in Wythall by Midland Red buses in the 1960s but LD8s somehow always avoided me, so I was pleased to ride on one at long last.

The bus I wanted to experience most of all was the Huddersfield utility Daimler - lowbridge and all - although anyone hoping for slatted wooden seats would have been disappointed! It was quite an experience, with the AEC engine giving wonderful sound effects, but with a full load I expect the driver was glad it had a preselector gearbox and not a crash one!
Yes LD8 4031 is a credit to the 1685 Group and should be running very nicely now it has had that full engine overhaul. I keep dropping hints that it would be nice to have BaMMOT's D7 4482 back on the road, but it appears to have some major bodywork corrosion problems despite being mechanically very fit. I have promised a large donation to put it back on the road if ever I win a few million pounds on the Lottery so we may well be waiting a very long time unfortunately!

I too was very pleased to ride in that Huddersfield CWA6 as it is the nearest bus as far as the chassis goes to the GHA Daimlers that Midland Red used on Birmingham services for many years during and after World War II. This bus confirmed something that I had heard, or read, in the dim and distant past that Digbeth drivers preferred the preselect utility Daimlers over any of the other offerings for the tightly timed 159 service from Birmingham to Coventry. I have always been somewhat sceptical about this claim as the similar engined AD2's were somewhat pedestrian in performance, however, the fully loaded CCX 777 was keeping up with the Greenline RF on the return journey despite carrying a full seated load. That said despite the good acceleration the bus would probably struggle on the steep Yorkshire gradients.

According to one website it has been in preservation since at least 1968 and carries a 'relaxed' utility Duple body which was actually built as seen with sliding ventilators and not drop windows. Can anyone confirm that the seats are original as I have never seen that style before with varnished wood cappings on the upper back? The interior has a very 'lived in' feel and seems to be as it was when operated by Huddersfield making it my bus of the day. Many thanks to the owner for allowing enthusiasts the chance to ride in such a rare veteran.

Finally, being a Daimler it seems to have a very big following in the Midlands as the week before at The Gaydon Bus Festival the owner took it out on at least 7 or 8 journeys with capacity loadings every time, I was one of those left over on a couple of occasions such was the demand (my own fault for not queuing early!).

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 15:20 Wednesday 31st August 2016

MattW wrote:
20:10 Tuesday 30th August 2016
That Seddon coach looks the dog's whatsits. 8-)
It goes like a scalded cat - just over 8 litres of V8 power with 170 BHP at 2,800 RPM and naturally aspirated too, giving that lovely thrum of all 'V' configuration engines rising to a howling crescendo! Believe it or not the coach has a completely flat floor with no engine hump where it is front mounted, again the product of compact design of a short-stroke V8 engine. The murmurings by those who know was that this particular Perkins engine was not as successful as the smaller straight six 6-354 unit.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 15:27 Wednesday 31st August 2016

JustinTyme wrote:
20:34 Tuesday 30th August 2016
LD8 4031 was also immaculate and a joy to ride on. I used to travel to school in Wythall by Midland Red buses in the 1960s but LD8s somehow always avoided me, so I was pleased to ride on one at long last.
As if more proof was ever needed here is a shot of 4031 which is only just in frame, but shows the superb level of craftsmanship which went into its restoration. I don't normally point out the glint of sunshine in a photo but it shows just how good it looks.
29 August 2016 Wythall 014.jpg

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:58 Wednesday 31st August 2016

TimBrown wrote:
15:20 Wednesday 31st August 2016
MattW wrote:
20:10 Tuesday 30th August 2016
That Seddon coach looks the dog's whatsits. 8-)
It goes like a scalded cat - just over 8 litres of V8 power with 170 BHP at 2,800 RPM and naturally aspirated too, giving that lovely thrum of all 'V' configuration engines rising to a howling crescendo! Believe it or not the coach has a completely flat floor with no engine hump where it is front mounted, again the product of compact design of a short-stroke V8 engine. The murmurings by those who know was that this particular Perkins engine was not as successful as the smaller straight six 6-354 unit.
Sounds like my kind of motor.
I've decided my new car must be a V8 :twisted:

horsencart

Post by horsencart » 20:48 Wednesday 31st August 2016

There are one or two of us who remember the first open day at the museum https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartsha ... 633851840/

horsencart

Post by horsencart » 21:24 Wednesday 31st August 2016

Not certain if that link work try this https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartsha ... 633851840/

Return to “Preservation”