Help Needed... Transport Museum and Birmingham CAZ

Discussions about the Bus and Coach Preservation scene for Midland "Red" Motor Services and related companies.
AdamH

Help Needed... Transport Museum and Birmingham CAZ

Post by AdamH » 20:37 Saturday 28th September 2019

As you all know, Birmingham is getting it's own Clean Air Zone (CAZ) which will exclude PCVs that do not meet modern emissions requirements. The work done by First to meet these standards has been well documents elsewhere on this forum, and despite their problems First is still a large company so they have been able to comply.

However, these rules apply to all operators wishing to operate services into Birmingham, including The Transport Museum, Wythall.

I'm sure you can all see the problem here. Their fleet, by the very nature of being a museum, is all very old and will not meet the new regulations. They have been in negotiations with the local authority but these have not been successful.

Anyone who would like to see Wythall continue to operate their historic buses into Birmingham should seriously think about signing their on-line petition, if they haven't already done so.

The Link is HERE.

Thank you.

ANDREW

Re: Help Needed... Transport Museum and Birmingham CAZ

Post by ANDREW » 11:08 Sunday 29th September 2019

I "think" that I have signed the petition !! I kept getting directed round in circles by the petition website. :oops:

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 13:28 Sunday 29th September 2019

Yes, I had the same problem. Their website designer doesn’t make it easy.

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 08:33 Monday 30th September 2019

In the good old days, a petition was someone stood on the high street with a clipboard. :lol: :o :roll:

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 10:14 Monday 30th September 2019

I believe they have found one of those in the archive at the museum, and if you wish you can sign your name on it with something call a pen to achieve the same result. Who knew?! 🤣

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 11:24 Monday 30th September 2019

Nice one. I can recall time spent in the 70's/80's logging National Express coaches at Digbeth and an inspector always had a clipboard. Now it appears to be a "tablet" ?!? :?

MattW

Post by MattW » 16:42 Monday 30th September 2019

Signed. Another example of the idiocy of those apparently in charge of this country. Funny how easily they forget they are elected as our servants!

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 09:02 Thursday 3rd June 2021

And I gather "CAZ" is still not fully implemented . . . . . . as fines are not being issued for another week or so. Also , dare I ask how the petition went ?? ;)

943KHA

Post by 943KHA » 10:24 Friday 4th June 2021

Of course you may ask! As the Trustee behind the petition and the many discussions with BCC CAZ people, I'm sad to say that they would not consider any furthering of the present limited number of exemptions. We had great support from FBHVC on this and of course from the many people who petitioned both through our own campaign and privately. The importance of transport history to Birmingham and the wider West Midlands was not on their agenda. Comparisons made with London where any pre 73 vehicle whether or not used commercially is exempt and other cities where more realistic exemptions are to be granted were ruled out. For this year we are not running 'commercially' anyway, Covid restrictions means that it is not viable and we now have the restrictions of BODS to consider when running stage carriage. The ability to run such services without making a loss is difficult. This year and possibly next all services will be run 'free' and we'll see what impact that has overall. So, all in all, not a good result, but we did try!

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 11:19 Friday 4th June 2021

Many thanks for you full and open response. Sad outcome but I am not totally surprised . I wish yourselves all the best for this and future seasons.

Return to “Preservation”