Wythall D7 XHA 482 Restoration Appeal

Discussions about the Bus and Coach Preservation scene for Midland "Red" Motor Services and related companies.
TimBrown

Wythall D7 XHA 482 Restoration Appeal

Post by TimBrown » 11:41 Saturday 5th March 2022

Midland Red D7 Reg. No. XHA 482 Restoration Appeal.

It will be fantastic to see the D7 back on the road, these buses ran more or less everywhere the bridge heights allowed throughout the Midland Red territory in the 1950s and 1960s, spartan inside but reliable sloggers and workhorses. When travelling around on an 'Anywhere Ticket' it wasn't long before the familiar roar of those BMMO 8 litre engines announced the arrival of the next bus. The D7 will also make a good pairing on the road with the Transport Museum's LD8 4031!

Link below to the Transport Museum D7 donation site;
https://www.wythall.org.uk/d7.asp
October 14 2012 Wythall Bus Musuem 027.jpg
October 14 2012 Wythall Bus Musuem 004.jpg

TimBrown

Re: Wythall D7 XHA 482 Restoration Appeal

Post by TimBrown » 10:35 Thursday 16th November 2023

I received an interesting e-mail on Monday 13 November from Dave Taylor on behalf of Sebastian Amos - Chair of Trustees with The Transport Museum, Wythall. I have obtained permission to share this news about the restoration of D7 4482 as below;

(Quote) We are delighted to announce that we have been awarded £57,373 from the Department of Levelling Up, Community Ownership Fund towards the restoration of the D7. After receiving quotations to complete the work, the Trustees have decided to place the work with Trailways under the management of Paul Faherty and Jim Munro for the museum. Based on the excellent ongoing work on SUK3 and their commitment for the dates for the D7 work that will not affect SUK3, we believe this is the most prudent approach.

We expect the D7 to be completed for launch at the start of the 2025 season and will of course keep you updated.

I would like to thank the team for their support during the bidding process and am looking forwards to the D7 entering the fleet.

Finally, the grant is based on matched funding. We have already received several donations for which we are delighted, but a few more would reduce the museum's need to dig into internal funds, so we will be re-starting our fundraising shortly.
(Unquote).

Just for the record, SUK 3 is a Guy Arab IV with Meadows 6DC engine and 60 seat Metro-Cammell Orion bodywork new to Wolverhampton Transport in March 1957. A great deal of work has already been done to replace many of the bodywork steel frames which means Trailways experts now have considerable knowledge of what to expect when tackling the D7 body, as this is based on the Orion shell of similar vintage but with BMMO modified specification.

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 17:12 Thursday 16th November 2023

Thanks Tim for the updates.The D9's were my favourite BMMO bus but a D7 is almost as good . . . . . . . ;)

MattW

Post by MattW » 15:39 Monday 20th November 2023

Thats good news Tim.
Wonder if the money came from the 'Cancelled HS2 Fund' - or am I just a cynic? :lol:

Return to “Preservation”