DD12 Revival

Discussions about the Bus and Coach Preservation scene for Midland "Red" Motor Services and related companies.
MattW

Re: DD12 Revival

Post by MattW » 19:18 Wednesday 7th November 2018

Excellent!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 15:40 Sunday 11th November 2018

Thanks Adam, for the photo you've put on the home page, and the comment about MOT preparation work.
I would be very surprised, and pleased, if an MOT test is to be done in the near future, so please keep us posted if you hear anything more !

-- -- which MOT station does FMR use now ? (Am I right in thinking the one at Summerfield, Kidderminster, closed, - or has stopped testing "PSVs" ? )

I saw our devoted museum friend Mr 943KHA recently, and I believe he said that the whole of the upper-deck floor in 6015 is to be replaced at WR !

:)

Mechwr26

Post by Mechwr26 » 15:16 Wednesday 25th September 2019

Time for a a well overdue update.. After 5 months travelling around Europe in my camper I'm back at First Worcester for a bit. Thanks again to Mr Eggleton for having me back.
The Daimler so far has..
All new brake shoes, 2 new rear road springs, 6 new tyres on very shiny wheels, all new brake pipes and hoses, footbrake valve, belt sets, working headlights, indicators, horn, brake lights ( as of last night), all the steering joints have been overhauled, saloon lighting sorted, interior bells sorted, various oil and air leaks done, upper deck flooring replacement is done , lower deck floors repaired.
Jobs till to do include...
Master and slave throttle cylinders to replace ( we have new ones to go on) engine mountings to replace ( again we have these), engine needs a service, emergency door buzzer wiring to sort, low air wanings and gauges to replace ( picked up parts to do this from the museum today) , plus a thousand other little bits and bobs that really take a long time to sort.
A lot of the bigger jobs have been done while I was away by an ex Astons mechanic that works at Worcester now so I'm left to do the remainder as and when I get time on it.
Attachments
20190903_211233.jpg

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 15:39 Wednesday 25th September 2019

At last some good news at Worcester! Are you back full-time or just popping in to say hello like last winter?

Mechwr26

Post by Mechwr26 » 15:42 Wednesday 25th September 2019

Hi Adam, I'm back full time. ( well, 12 months ). Need to save some money so we can have 6 months in Greece and Portugal next winter.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 19:31 Wednesday 25th September 2019

Welcome back Mechwr26 !!! :)

Thanks very much to you and all the engineering staff for all the work you've done on 6015, and thanks for the detailed update which is in addition to the update in the latest Museum newsletter.

Am I right in thinking there are TWO classes of MOT certificate that the museum aims to get for their selected vehicles ? -- class 5 and class 6 ? -- --
and that only class 6 vehicles can do private hires ?

Maybe Tim Brown or Mr 943KHA could tell us more ??

I've got the impression that the museum was aiming for a class 5, for 6015, but judging by the amount of work that's been done -- maybe it will get a class 6 ?

As for replacing the bells, -- I bet they are not the originals, which had a rich, loud, "gong or chime" sound (a bit like my Granny's front door bell), and used to drive some of the drivers mad !!

P.S. - Now you're back, my guess is that 32648 on the patch, is here for YOU to work-on ? -- the engine perhaps ?

943KHA

Post by 943KHA » 20:33 Wednesday 25th September 2019

Yes, had a surprise and welcome visit from Mech26wr and his good lady today at Wythall, my first day back after a two week holiday and the usual pandemonium had set in during my absence. Nice to see some good progress from Mech26wr and his team courtesy of Nigel E. One by one the little bits are all being sorted out, 6015 was never in good condition to start with having been well and truly run into the ground by Midland Red, then not very well looked after in its early years of preservation and then followed by a long period of being a static exhibit at Wythall. But of all the Fleetlines we have, it is the most deserving because it is RED...

For us to use it commercially it will require a Class VI test but to help things on the way at least it still has a valid CoIF. So keep up the good work!!

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 21:51 Wednesday 25th September 2019

DD12 wrote:
19:31 Wednesday 25th September 2019
Same goes from me. Updates always appreciated. :)

Mechwr26

Post by Mechwr26 » 01:01 Thursday 26th September 2019

DD12 wrote:
19:31 Wednesday 25th September 2019

Thanks very much to you and all the engineering staff for all the work you've done on 6015, and thanks for the detailed update which is in addition to the update in the latest Museum newsletter.

Am I right in thinking there are TWO classes of MOT certificate that the museum aims to get for their selected vehicles ? -- class 5 and class 6 ? -- --
and that only class 6 vehicles can do private hires ?

Maybe Tim Brown or Mr 943KHA could tell us more ??

I've got the impression that the museum was aiming for a class 5, for 6015, but judging by the amount of work that's been done -- maybe it will get a class 6 ?

As for replacing the bells, -- I bet they are not the originals, which had a rich, loud, "gong or chime" sound (a bit like my Granny's front door bell), and used to drive some of the drivers mad !!

P.S. - Now you're back, my guess is that 32648 on the patch, is here for YOU to work-on ? -- the engine perhaps ?
Gareth Samson has got the original bells and pushes working and they have a proper audible ding to them.
And yes 32648 has been towed here because it has no oil pressure, but a quick glance at it yesterday shows that it will probably need a full rebuild. I really enjoy doing these Volvo D7c engines and they are so much more accessible in the decker than in the later single decks. Watch this space, I'll put some pics on of the strip and rebuild if anyone is interested.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 10:22 Thursday 26th September 2019

Thanks Mechwr26, -- yes please, to any photos and comments about anything to do with buses !!!

Return to “Preservation”