Service 23... A lovely double-deck route

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for Cheltenham and Gloucester Omnibus Company, and Thames Transit Limited, trading as Stagecoach West and Oxford Tube.
AdamH

Service 23... A lovely double-deck route

Post by AdamH » 19:41 Monday 28th January 2019

There was a gap in my training schedule today so I jumped on the first Forest bus to come along to do a bit of route learning. It was a number 23 from Gloucester to Coleford, and was being worked with a Scania double-deck from Ross-on-Wye depot. It's an hourly frequency and journeys are also run from Gloucester depot and their outstation at Milkwall, all using double-decks.

This route is right up Mr DD12's street as it passes through some beautiful countryside, running out of Gloucester along the banks of the River Severn before turning off and heading into the Forest of Dean. All visible from the top deck! I was extra lucky today as when I went out there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

If anyone is looking for a nice day out on the bus, I suggest you give it a try. I will be driving my first one on Saturday (I think) and I'm looking forward to it already.

DD12

Re: Service 23... A lovely double-deck route

Post by DD12 » 20:11 Monday 28th January 2019

Brilliant news, thanks Adam !!

I shall study this, and look forward to trying it.
I often look to see if I can include a short ramble and an "OK" pub with any leisure bus ride !

(The only snag is "23" is my unlucky number -- -- can you ask Stagecoach to renumber it for me ?)

Cheers !

bringstybeast

Post by bringstybeast » 20:24 Monday 28th January 2019

You've conveniently answered my questions on Milkwall outstation (if part of Ross or Gloucs), and if you'll be doing the Forest routes without me asking! Will keep a look out if I'm around on Saturday.

Neither a Stagecoach route nor double decker, but Lydney-Cinderford has similar charm for anyone seeking a day out. Think it still runs every hour and I've never seen a passenger on it! (and it's nearly driven in to me on quite a few occasions...)

bringstybeast

Post by bringstybeast » 20:33 Monday 28th January 2019

DD12 wrote:
20:11 Monday 28th January 2019
(The only snag is "23" is my unlucky number -- -- can you ask Stagecoach to renumber it for me ?)
Originally 73 (Gloucester-Newport), first cut back to Chepstow, then Lydney. Current route came about by adding on the former Dukes 721 (Lydney-Coleford) - that used to be run using Solos and Darts before the change. Go back to the early 2000s and I seem to remember Dukes ran it as the 722 - continuing on to Monmouth, making an even nicer route with scenic wiggles!

MattW

Post by MattW » 08:02 Tuesday 29th January 2019

Excellent. I think the company will issue you with a Forest - English dictionary so you can understand the local vernacular.
Ow bist? :twisted:

chason

Post by chason » 08:25 Tuesday 29th January 2019

MattW wrote:
08:02 Tuesday 29th January 2019
Excellent. I think the company will issue you with a Forest - English dictionary so you can understand the local vernacular.
Ow bist? :twisted:
Quite. My wife's family hail from the Forest and to hear the way they used to talk about it, you'd think it was a foreign country. Even the rest of Gloucestershire seemed a world away to them and had a different lingo too.

Although, I like to think my sense of direction is usually quite reasonable, I just can't get to grips with the Forest of Dean road system and although we have driven round there quite a few times, I still have to consult the map and rely these days on the satnav (although neither is fullproof so I still get lost!). So good luck with the route learning.

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 11:38 Tuesday 29th January 2019

AdamH wrote:
19:41 Monday 28th January 2019
If anyone is looking for a nice day out on the bus, I suggest you give it a try. I will be driving my first one on Saturday (I think) and I'm looking forward to it already.
A belated "good luck" in your new employment Adam. Sounds as if you will get well out into the countryside - better that Northfield and Selly Oak in the rush hour I guess. :evil:

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 12:09 Wednesday 30th January 2019

Sun is out again and I should be working my first 23, but alas I have an issue with my driving hours so I’m having to “learn” it again, this time from the top deck. Stunning views!

By the time we get to Coleford I’ll be OK to drive again so I’ll do the return journey, followed by a 32 to Ross-on-Wye. It’s a hard life in the Forest! 🤣

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 12:27 Wednesday 30th January 2019

I’ve just discover how hard it is taking photos out of the upper-deck windows with a phone on a moving bus... however, this is my best effort on the river section.
Attachments
411B5274-28DD-44B7-8281-CD8266689844.jpeg

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 13:13 Wednesday 30th January 2019

And in the sticks...
Attachments
2E60B18F-2236-4BFD-881B-36FD6C001E84.jpeg

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”