Smiths of Ledbory.

Subforum for non-Midland Red operators that do not have their own subforums.
ANDREW

Smiths of Ledbory.

Post by ANDREW » 11:22 Tuesday 11th May 2021

The Ledbury Reporter are saying that a planning application has gone in proposing to convert Smith's Coaches premises to a used car sales outlet. No mention of the coach firm going to cease trading or move premises. One question , I know Smith.s have operated buses on school contracts but have they ever done any stage carriage work ?? :?:

Rich82

Re: Smiths of Ledbory.

Post by Rich82 » 20:19 Tuesday 11th May 2021

ANDREW wrote:
11:22 Tuesday 11th May 2021
The Ledbury Reporter are saying that a planning application has gone in proposing to convert Smith's Coaches premises to a used car sales outlet. No mention of the coach firm going to cease trading or move premises. One question , I know Smith.s have operated buses on school contracts but have they ever done any stage carriage work ?? :?:

In regards to Smiths of Ledbury operating Stage carriage work they did years ago try competing against DRM Bus on the 476 Service and also on the 675 service when Newbury Coaches ran it.

They also operated a Wednesday only service from Malvern to Gloucester via Welland, Castlemorton &Staunton back in the 80`s and into the 90`s as memory serves right.

Also Smiths of Ledbury Owner Mike Sterry has over the last few years down sized his fleet and there has also been rumours that he was retiring the business but nothing has ever come of closing

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 09:59 Wednesday 12th May 2021

Many thanks for your informative reply. I always looked over towards the yard when passing through Ledbury by train. I remember the Plaxton Verde bus - I always thought the Verde to be quite a stylish design - and not just because MRW had lots of them !. ;)

bringstybeast

Post by bringstybeast » 20:34 Sunday 16th May 2021

Whilst in Ledbury today had a look at Smith's yard and there's a banner at the front saying "coach drivers wanted". Inside he's still got the Red & White Volvo, and the remnants of the Diamond coloured Verde in the corner. Two Profile coaches also parked up - one of the Bristol airport ones plus another, and a third was out and about full of people.

Also found one of David Morris's little Omnitowns in a yard along from Aldi, and was being followed down Castle Street by an MRW faretable whilst over in Worcester. Based on the traffic lots of people wanting to go places today but don't think I saw a single bus in service!

Rich82

Post by Rich82 » 20:41 Sunday 16th May 2021

bringstybeast wrote:
20:34 Sunday 16th May 2021

Also found one of David Morris's little Omnitowns in a yard along from Aldi, and was being followed down Castle Street by an MRW faretable whilst over in Worcester. Based on the traffic lots of people wanting to go places today but don't think I saw a single bus in service!
The yard where u saw one of David Morris`s Bus is the former Yard of Newbury Coaches which to which as I believe is still owned by one of the Family that owned Newbury Coaches and rents or leases the yard to Graham Baker Motors and with the agreement with David Morris

Return to “Miscellaneous Operators”