Oxford Changes (2/2A/2B services)

Subforum for non-Midland Red operators that do not have their own subforums.
AdamH

Oxford Changes (2/2A/2B services)

Post by AdamH » 09:21 Wednesday 29th December 2021

A bit outside the Midland Red area, but one where I now work so I thought I'd mention it...

On 2nd January 2022, there are some major changes to a long-standing bus partnership between Oxford Bus Company and Stagecoach in Oxfordshire. The latter was taken over by Stagecoach West in early 2021 in an effort by Group to bring it back to profitability, and the management changes are starting to become noticeable.

The 2, 2A, 2B, and N2 group of services between Oxford and Kidlington have for a long time been run as a joint venture as part of the bus partnership, but this is about to come to an end. Oxford Bus Company will withdraw their vehicles from these routes, and a new simplified network will be operated by Stagecoach only. The 2B is being withdrawn and replaced by a change in the route for the 2 (clockwise loop) and 2A (anti-clockwise loop). The N2 Nightbus will continue, running the same route as the new 2.

All that to explain why I am posting a photo I took yesterday of an Oxford bus Company vehicle working the 2A towards the City... A sight that will soon be no more!
Attachments
IMG_7492.jpg

TimBrown

Re: Oxford Changes (2/2A/2B services)

Post by TimBrown » 16:19 Thursday 30th December 2021

Thanks Adam; you certainly travel far and wide in your new job! I guess there will be more changes afoot and some rationalisation once National Express Directors get their feet under the table. I've always held Stagecoach in high regard for the bus and erstwhile railway operations, but not had much first hand dealing with National Express companies; interesting to hear some of our contributors' comments.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 18:36 Thursday 30th December 2021

Regarding the National Express take over, I believe they don't expect all of the paperwork to be signed until the end of 2022 so it will be business as usual until then. They have also said they will be keeping the Stagecoach brand for bus operations, so we are not expecting to see much change in our office for a while.

The changes to the 2 group of services mentioned above are just a small part of some quite significant changes in the Oxford area on 2nd January, so I've been over that way quite a lot during the last few days. Still got more to do, but I'm in Stroud tomorrow so it will have to wait until next year now!

Meanwhile, look what I spotted in Oxford City Centre today... they get everywhere! :roll:
Attachments
IMG_7512.jpg

DD12

Post by DD12 » 23:26 Thursday 30th December 2021

Is that a genuine Diamond operation, or is it an ex-Diamond vehicle with a new operator ??

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 05:07 Friday 31st December 2021

DD12

Post by DD12 » 14:10 Friday 31st December 2021

TimBrown wrote:
05:07 Friday 31st December 2021
Diamond South East by all accounts as per attached links;

https://www.diamondbuses.com/south-east ... vices/250/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_S ... 0contracts
Thanks for the excellent links Tim.

JustinTyme

Post by JustinTyme » 16:11 Friday 31st December 2021

Kidlington has been served by Midland Red buses since the X59 started back in 1976, so I'm OK with reporting on developments there!

Actually, it's interesting to see that much (if not all) of the joint working in Oxford is coming to an end, so I assume that must suit Oxford Bus Company as well as Stagecoach.

IMHO - as merely an enthusiast who has not worked in the bus industry - I guess it will be some time before the NX/Stagecoach takeover brings about major changes, and not only because the takeover is expected to take around a year to complete. I agree with Tim that Stagecoach have always known what they are doing. The same can be said of National Express, who seem to make sound and pragmatic decisions.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:51 Friday 31st December 2021

JustinTyme wrote:
16:11 Friday 31st December 2021
Kidlington has been served by Midland Red buses since the X59 started back in 1976, so I'm OK with reporting on developments there!

Actually, it's interesting to see that much (if not all) of the joint working in Oxford is coming to an end, so I assume that must suit Oxford Bus Company as well as Stagecoach.
I had no idea Midland Red ran that way. I'll have to see if I can find an old timetable to put in the archive.

With the huge drop in passenger numbers since Covid, I think Oxford Bus Company were just as keen to cut excess costs as Stagecoach. The local authority chaired the negotiations and as far as I know both are happy with the outcome. The 1 and 5 route (same route, 1 is the Stagecoach number and 5 is used by OBC) is the only one that will continue as a joint operation.

After the changes, Oxford depot will be one of the few with enough drivers to meet their requirements, and Stagecoach are offering attractive deals to anyone who volunteers to work away at other depots.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operators”