Cornish Charters

MattW

Cornish Charters

Post by MattW » 16:44 Thursday 8th July 2021

Got a few days off work fortunately well-timed with some charter trains heading down to Cornwall. Here's the first with 47593 and 47614, Shrewsbury - Penzance. More to follow over the weekend.
IMG_9415 (2).JPG

TimBrown

Re: Cornish Charters

Post by TimBrown » 14:07 Saturday 10th July 2021

Thanks Matt.

Penzance is a popular charter destination from the Midlands. A friend booked on one earlier this month and the train departed Worcestershire Parkway at 07-00, arrived back at 22-30 with a mere two hours in Penzance. That's an awful lot of travelling in one day, but he and his partner are eager to do it again and both of them are older than me! I must admit that the line south of Exeter is very special with the track following the seashore through Dawlish then over the Royal Albert Bridge at Saltash followed by the winding route through picturesque lush green Cornwall. Penzance seemed a bit rundown when I went there about ten years ago - my friend says it still has a similar feel to Lowesmoor in Worcester.

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:47 Saturday 10th July 2021

There should have been photos of a WCR tour also with 47s on Friday, but it spent so long trying to get going from Tiverton loop they turned the service short at Plymouth. Steam tomorrow though I hope.

MattW

Post by MattW » 16:10 Sunday 11th July 2021

Well so much for that - for a start, the rain here is biblical, and secondly the steamer is only coming as far as Plymouth, as it can be turned on the triangle there, which can't be done at Par. The Par turntable, while still extant, seems to be out of use again. As it is Grade 2 listed, I'm surprised that somebody hasn't been forced to maintain it, but I suspect either DB or Notwork Rail have come up with an excuse.

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:10 Monday 12th July 2021

MattW wrote:
16:10 Sunday 11th July 2021
The Par turntable, while still extant, seems to be out of use again. As it is Grade 2 listed, I'm surprised that somebody hasn't been forced to maintain it, but I suspect either DB or Notwork Rail have come up with an excuse.
Some good news on this front - I'm reliably informed that a volunteer group has been set up to work on the turntable with the aim of having it operational again by next summer. I'll keep you posted. If I have time, I may even try and get involved, although I'm sure they don't need the services of someone with mechanical ineptitude like mine.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 08:34 Tuesday 13th July 2021

MattW wrote:
19:10 Monday 12th July 2021
...If I have time, I may even try and get involved, although I'm sure they don't need the services of someone with mechanical ineptitude like mine.
I'm sure they will require cups of tea to be made.

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:24 Tuesday 13th July 2021

Without anyone getting poisoned!

Return to “Trains”