Heading to Hotspur

MattW

Heading to Hotspur

Post by MattW » 17:17 Monday 29th April 2019

Just to let you all know that finally, after about 15 years of trying, I am going to be working back on the railways again. I've 8-) received an offer of a job as signalman at Dorrington, which is the first 'box south of Shrewsbury. As the train fans among you probably know the Marches line and the Shrewsbury area is a hotbed of traditional mechanical signalling, including the famed Severn Bridge Junction (now the largest mechanical signalbox in the world), much of which is not scheduled for replacement any time soon due mostly to it being on the border between different areas of Network Rail and the general lack of benefit it would bring due to traffic levels. As you can imagine I'm over the moon as I was a signalman in a former life, and am currently going through the usual pre-employment processes. I will have to go to (probably) York for three months to train, but after that I'll settle into my new billet in the Shropshire hills.

AdamH

Re: Heading to Hotspur

Post by AdamH » 19:15 Monday 29th April 2019

That is great news Matt. Congratulations... Methinks a drink or three is in order! 😊

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 05:06 Tuesday 30th April 2019

AdamH wrote:
19:15 Monday 29th April 2019
That is great news Matt. Congratulations... Methinks a drink or three is in order! 😊
Yes, very good news Matt. I am sure you will pass the training with flying colours! My very best wishes for a long and happy career back on the railways - Shropshire is a beautiful county too. Congratulations, keep us posted of unfolding events.

chason

Post by chason » 08:36 Tuesday 30th April 2019

Congratulations, Matt. The Marches Line is probably one of the most scenic in the country yet to many is relatively unknown.

I'm booked on a steam charter hauled by recently overhauled Clun Castle next month which, after a couple of hours break in Hereford, heads north to Shrewsbury. I'm sure railfans will be out in force so hope to see pictures of the vintage castle amongst those marvellous semaphore signals.

MattW

Post by MattW » 17:41 Tuesday 30th April 2019

Thanks very much guys. I don't know a huge amount timescales yet but I'm sure we can have a get together! 8-)

lrew120585

Post by lrew120585 » 10:29 Wednesday 1st May 2019

AdamH wrote:
19:15 Monday 29th April 2019
Well done mate! I’ll second the above 😂😂

Return to “Trains”