Why I couldn't go to Wythall...

MattW

Why I couldn't go to Wythall...

Post by MattW » 17:08 Monday 22nd April 2019

...because I was at the Swanage Railway instead! Got to ride behind a 'Battle of Britain' and a 'T9' in lovely sunshine, and drive there in a 'classic' 1993 Rover 600 too!

Video of the T9 departing Swanage 8-)
https://flic.kr/p/2ed4x4x

TimBrown

Re: Why I couldn't go to Wythall...

Post by TimBrown » 16:09 Wednesday 24th April 2019

MattW wrote:
17:08 Monday 22nd April 2019
...because I was at the Swanage Railway instead! Got to ride behind a 'Battle of Britain' and a 'T9' in lovely sunshine, and drive there in a 'classic' 1993 Rover 600 too!

Thanks for the pictures and video, I have never been to Swanage so might try and make it soon. I was hauled by some Bulleid locomotives in 1958 (yes 1958!) between Weymouth and Bournemouth, but it is so long ago that I can't remember if it was by Merchant Navy class or light pacifics - both were notorious for slipping and had a voracious appetite for coal and water. The T9 had a reputation for fast running, hence the nickname 'Greyhounds'. Which bus garage is in the background of the one shot?

MattW

Re: Why I couldn't go to Wythall...

Post by MattW » 18:27 Wednesday 24th April 2019

It's the 'More' (what was wrong with Wilts & Dorset?) :roll: depot where they keep the buses for the 50 service to Bournemouth via Sandbanks ferry. Open top in the summer, you can see some of the convertible roof pieces in the corner. I was talking to a driver and he said the service has become ridiculously busy, so much so that on his first trip from Bournemouth he was full by the third stop and left approximately 50 people behind!

Return to “Trains”