astons in kidderminster

busrinks

astons in kidderminster

Post by busrinks » 14:58 Wednesday 15th April 2020

from the 19\4\20 aston will be running services in kidderminster that coniston used to run they are the 15a. 15c s15 294 296.

TimBrown

Re: astons in kidderminster

Post by TimBrown » 19:31 Wednesday 15th April 2020

busrinks wrote:
14:58 Wednesday 15th April 2020
from the 19\4\20 aston will be running services in kidderminster that coniston used to run they are the 15a. 15c s15 294 296.
The attached link to an article dated 4 February 2020 in The Kidderminster Shuttle outlines the reasons for Coniston Coaches pulling out of stage carriage work; a shame as the 294/6 into Worcester usually produced some interesting vehicles. The maroon livery with gold lettering is attractive and different to other local operators. It will take careful planning by Astons if they wish to avoid expensive dead mileage between Clerkenleap/Defford and Kidderminster!

https://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/ ... -contract/

Ridercross

Post by Ridercross » 12:20 Thursday 16th April 2020

I am wondering if Astons have now taken the contracts over early?

Certainly today from my place which overlooks the 15A/15C there has been no sign of Coniston today, but every hour Astons Yutong YJ16 UTE has been going past my window!

I can't see any route number displayed, but the fact that is has a few passengers on each hour makes me thing it is in service. If it is, then the journeys seem to be leaving Kidderminster Bus Station at around 05 past each hour rather than 35 as currently displayed on Traveline.

There is nothing I can see on the County Council website about this, but that is hardly unusual!

willr7

Post by willr7 » 09:27 Wednesday 22nd April 2020

Ridercross wrote:
12:20 Thursday 16th April 2020
I am wondering if Astons have now taken the contracts over early?

Certainly today from my place which overlooks the 15A/15C there has been no sign of Coniston today, but every hour Astons Yutong YJ16 UTE has been going past my window!

I can't see any route number displayed, but the fact that is has a few passengers on each hour makes me thing it is in service. If it is, then the journeys seem to be leaving Kidderminster Bus Station at around 05 past each hour rather than 35 as currently displayed on Traveline.

There is nothing I can see on the County Council website about this, but that is hardly unusual!
I don't believe they took over before Monday as I saw a recent post on Facebook (by Astons) advertising there start date as Monday 20th.
https://www.facebook.com/astonscoachesl ... =3&theater (The 3 E200s in the picture should be the vehicles being used on the services)

Is it possible that YJ16 UTE was used for route learning... Also, I don't think they would use it in public service work as it is not wheelchair accessible.

As for the timetables, they are available on Astons website (journeys are departing Kidderminster at 35 mins past on 15A & 32 mins past on 15C)
https://www.astons-coaches.co.uk/timetables/

Hope this helps :)

willr7

Post by willr7 » 09:41 Wednesday 22nd April 2020

TimBrown wrote:
19:31 Wednesday 15th April 2020
It will take careful planning by Astons if they wish to avoid expensive dead mileage between Clerkenleap/Defford and Kidderminster!
It would make sense to put on some early 294/296 journeys (towards Bewdley/Kidderminster) to reduce dead running.

Studying the TTs I see that all 3 vehicles used on the new services have to travel dead to Kiddermisnter Bus Station in the morning & back in the evening too!
Considering the first journey at present (to Bewdley) dose not arrive until 0922. Surely there is reason for putting on 1 or even 2 extra AM journeys extending to Kiddermisnter for the AM peak (even if there would be few passengers, surely it's better than none at all due to dead running?)

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 11:05 Wednesday 22nd April 2020

willr7 wrote:
09:41 Wednesday 22nd April 2020
TimBrown wrote:
19:31 Wednesday 15th April 2020
It will take careful planning by Astons if they wish to avoid expensive dead mileage between Clerkenleap/Defford and Kidderminster!
It would make sense to put on some early 294/296 journeys (towards Bewdley/Kidderminster) to reduce dead running.

Studying the TTs I see that all 3 vehicles used on the new services have to travel dead to Kiddermisnter Bus Station in the morning & back in the evening too!
Considering the first journey at present (to Bewdley) dose not arrive until 0922. Surely there is reason for putting on 1 or even 2 extra AM journeys extending to Kiddermisnter for the AM peak (even if there would be few passengers, surely it's better than none at all due to dead running?)
Purely speculation, but I wonder if Astons have taken on some of the redundant Coniston drivers and done a short term deal to keep three buses over at Kidderminster perhaps using Coniston's yard, if they have one, as an outstation, fuelling up at the currently underused 'petrol' stations in Kidderminster first thing in the morning using an agency card?

Looking at the suggestion to run buses over in service via Bewdley to Kidderminster, that would take much longer, probably 30 minutes more with no extra revenue, than running direct out of service via the A449. When, and if, things get back to normal it will be a longer journey through Worcester in the morning peak period though. Bear in mind that most operators like First pay the driver by the minute, no doubt Astons are the same and look to save every penny keeping drivers' turn times to a minimum.

Another point would be the length of time it normally takes to pass revised service timetables through the Traffic Commissioners and their Notices & proceedings arrangement. Then I guess that there is an element of tendering subsidy from Wyre Forest and Worcestershire County Councils to take into account. Perhaps too, an emergency Covid 19 system in place which short-circuits all the red tape - Diamond pulled the 303 altogether with a couple of days notice on their website - so very strange times indeed!

Return to “Astons Coaches”