ZEBRA - Zero Emission Bus Regional Area

Subforum for Diamond Bus Limited of Tividale, Redditch and Kidderminster (formerly The Diamond Bus Company Limited, The Birmingham Omnibus Company Limited, Go West Midlands Limited, etc.
TimBrown

ZEBRA - Zero Emission Bus Regional Area

Post by TimBrown » 08:53 Monday 23rd August 2021

The attached article 'Bold Target for Buses' appeared in the local Observer free newspaper dated Wednesday 18 August 2021. I have put this under Diamond Bus (Rotala) heading as there is a key paragraph (seven) which states (quote) The proposed extent of the ZEBRA scheme within Worcestershire would initially cover the Bromsgrove and Redditch districts (unquote).

As Firstbus have no services in Redditch and just the 144 in Bromsgrove, it seems a safe bet that any zero emission buses would inevitably be run by the main operator - Diamond.

Sadly no mention of Worcester at this stage, but all would depend on the success of the Worcestershire County Council bid and receipt of £30 million Government funding!
Zero emissions for buses 001.jpg

ANDREW

Re: ZEBRA - Zero Emission Bus Regional Area

Post by ANDREW » 12:22 Monday 23rd August 2021

I think that Diamond have recently converted some rather old single deckers to "electric power" . And would not Bewdley be the best place for a ZEBRA scheme ? ! ? :lol:

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 12:23 Wednesday 25th August 2021

ANDREW wrote:
12:22 Monday 23rd August 2021
I think that Diamond have recently converted some rather old single deckers to "electric power" . And would not Bewdley be the best place for a ZEBRA scheme ? ! ? :lol:
Could be!

As a bit of light relief here are a few vehicle names from the animal kingdom.

Motorbikes; BSA Bantam & Triumph Tigress scooter.

Cars; AC Cobra, Ford Cougar, Mustang & Puma, All Jaguars, Reliant Kitten & Robin, Singer Gazelle, Vauxhall Wyvern & Wolseley Hornet.

Lorries; Commer Cob (light van), Guy Vixen, Otter & Wolf, Karrier Bantam, Leyland Beaver, Bison, Buffalo, Hippo, Mastiff & Octopus & Scammell Scarab.

Buses & Coaches; AEC Swift, Crossley Condor, Dennis Falcon, Leyland Cub, Gnu, Leopard, Lion, Lioness, Lynx, Panther, Panther Cub, Tiger & Tiger Cub. Plaxton Leopard & Panther.

Please add any missing creatures (there must be many more).

Quite a lot of aircraft have animal, bird and insect names, but that is another subject!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 13:54 Thursday 26th August 2021

Here is a link to the Department For Transport Zebra information website which gives a full list of the local authorities making applications for the millions on offer;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... us-funding

I guess Worcester will remain a dirty City Centre with through routes renowned for CO2 and NOX levels at or near the recognised danger level for a long time to come. Hydrogen and electric buses are just a pipedream, I think we would all settle for a CAZ with Euro 6 standard buses, taxis and delivery vehicles - dream on!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 17:26 Thursday 26th August 2021

I am shocked that the proposal / application is not for Worcester !

- I cannot fathom what the CC is thinking of :?:

bringstybeast

Post by bringstybeast » 23:45 Thursday 26th August 2021

DD12 wrote:
17:26 Thursday 26th August 2021
I am shocked that the proposal / application is not for Worcester !

- I cannot fathom what the CC is thinking of :?:
*If* the depot is to be relocated then it wouldn’t make sense to build in any required infrastructure until after it’s moved. I suspect this same argument may be getting used for several years.

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 16:32 Friday 27th August 2021

Buses include - Leyland Cheetah , Dennis Pelican , Guy Otter and Vixen.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 06:13 Saturday 28th August 2021

Buses also include, AEC Merlin & Dennis Pointer Dart. Apparently Leyland had pre-war PSVs named, Badger, Leveret and Panda!

Cars include, Dodge Viper, Hillman Husky, Riley Kestrel & Triumph Stag.

Vans include, Bedford Beagle & Peugeot Boxer; Boxer also a Leyland lorry c. 1970.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 11:46 Tuesday 29th March 2022

https://www.route-one.net/news/zebra-st ... ion-buses/

My reading of this article is that the ZEBRA bid for North Worcestershire has failed, --

-- let's hope that the Bus Service Improvement Plan submitted by Worcestershire C.Council doesn't go the same way !!
:(

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 17:02 Thursday 31st March 2022

I've not seen anything mentioned about Worcestershire gaining from these bids.

However, at Stagecoach we are very happy to be on the receiving end of part of the Oxford award. This will see 55 new double deck buses at our Oxford depot (the rest are going to Oxford Bus Company) for use on local services. Deliveries are expected to start min-2023.

Return to “Diamond Bus (Rotala)”