will diamond buy worcester

Subforum for Diamond Bus Limited of Tividale, Redditch and Kidderminster (formerly The Diamond Bus Company Limited, The Birmingham Omnibus Company Limited, Go West Midlands Limited, etc.
busrinks

will diamond buy worcester

Post by busrinks » 08:39 Thursday 30th May 2019

wonder if diamond will buy Worcester with first bus being sold off

DD12

Re: will diamond buy worcester

Post by DD12 » 09:26 Thursday 30th May 2019

busrinks wrote:
08:39 Thursday 30th May 2019
wonder if diamond will buy Worcester with first bus being sold off
My current guess is that First Bus UK will be sold to a "financial or big business" type company / organisation first, who will also buy Arriva bus, and then decide which bits to sell to various operators / companies (??)

I would love to think that Stagecoach or National Express would be able to take FMR, but even if Diamond (Rotala) takes it, they will surely have to treat drivers and mechanics with respect (decent wages and working agreements / conditions etc.) otherwise an even-higher turnover of staff would be disastrous (IMHO).

winston

Post by winston » 13:29 Friday 31st May 2019

I suspect Stagecoach and/or Souter Investments will be looking to buy some/all of Arriva Group & First Bus UK. The former now only operates in the UK having sold their US interests & most recently being blocked from bidding for UK rail, whilst the latter has just had a £160 million cash injection following the sale of ADL, then early also sold Polskibus.com to Flixbus.

I'd be very surprised if Stagecoach aren't involved, I'd also like to see NX pick up any suitable ops that come up for sale and Rotala are always on the lookout for new acquisitions.

Interesting times ahead......

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 15:59 Friday 31st May 2019

winston wrote:
13:29 Friday 31st May 2019
I suspect Stagecoach and/or Souter Investments will be looking to buy some/all of Arriva Group & First Bus UK. The former now only operates in the UK having sold their US interests & most recently being blocked from bidding for UK rail, whilst the latter has just had a £160 million cash injection following the sale of ADL, then early also sold Polskibus.com to Flixbus.

I'd be very surprised if Stagecoach aren't involved, I'd also like to see NX pick up any suitable ops that come up for sale and Rotala are always on the lookout for new acquisitions.

Interesting times ahead......
Stagecoach seem to be the best option from the passenger's point of view as they appear to be in business to provide a service as well as turn a profit. From recent reports the company also treat their staff fairly with good wages and reasonable conditions. The main stumbling block for their takeover of the Firstbus operations would probably be intervention by the Monopolies Commission.

Looking at the way Diamond/Rotala have slashed services in Kidderminster since they gained the monopoly there, I shudder to think what would happen to Worcester's City services if they took these on, as many routes are already cut to the bone! Taxi drivers must be clapping their hands with glee.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 16:32 Friday 31st May 2019

I think Stagecoach West might be interested in Bristol as they have already expanded into that area by buying Wessex last year and increasing services earlier this year. Given a choice between expanding south to Bristol or north to Worcester, south is the clear choice every time. Maybe First could do a “buy one, get one free” offer and throw Worcester in with the deal!

Charliedaffin

Post by Charliedaffin » 19:32 Friday 31st May 2019

AdamH wrote:
16:32 Friday 31st May 2019
I think Stagecoach West might be interested in Bristol as they have already expanded into that area by buying Wessex last year and increasing services earlier this year. Given a choice between expanding south to Bristol or north to Worcester, south is the clear choice every time. Maybe First could do a “buy one, get one free” offer and throw Worcester in with the deal!
Then maybe the great Adam H will return to the Worcester routes with stagecoach :lol:

Return to “Diamond Bus (Rotala)”