Stagecoach in Kidderminster?

Subforum for Diamond Bus Limited of Tividale, Redditch and Kidderminster (formerly The Diamond Bus Company Limited, The Birmingham Omnibus Company Limited, Go West Midlands Limited, etc.
Fuzzynutter

Stagecoach in Kidderminster?

Post by Fuzzynutter » 14:48 Monday 26th February 2018

I've heard from the grapevine that Stagecoach are interested in taking over the Kidderminster operations. Kidderminster depot on its own is small and I think the nearest Stagecoach operations are in Gloucestershire (former Cheltenham District) and South Wales as well as the former Midland Red South services which aren't exactly local, so I think it may just be pie in the sky. But is there any substance to this rumour?

DD12

Re: Stagecoach in Kidderminster?

Post by DD12 » 19:43 Monday 26th February 2018

That's a "delightful" rumour, Fuzzynutter !

I would have laughed-out-loud, but -

- can anyone tell me if the "metropolitan county" of the West Midlands is going to introduce bus franchising ??

- a Kidderminster base for a BIG bus group, might be a bit less "whacky" then (?)
Another "wild-card option" could be Stagecoach taking-over the Rotala group, or taking a minority share-holding in it.

JustinTyme

Post by JustinTyme » 21:35 Monday 26th February 2018

It made me smile too!

To answer DD12, Transport for the West Midlands (as it is now called) has not shown any interest in franchising. When it was West Midlands ITA it wasn't ruling anything out, but it did appear to think that there was anything to be gained by franchising. I would agree - the levels of bus services in the TfWM area is good overall.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 21:44 Monday 26th February 2018

Thanks JT !

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 13:40 Tuesday 27th February 2018

Fuzzynutter wrote:
14:48 Monday 26th February 2018
I've heard from the grapevine that Stagecoach are interested in taking over the Kidderminster operations. Kidderminster depot on its own is small and I think the nearest Stagecoach operations are in Gloucestershire (former Cheltenham District) and South Wales as well as the former Midland Red South services which aren't exactly local, so I think it may just be pie in the sky. But is there any substance to this rumour?
Recent journeys on Diamond buses at Kidderminster and Redditch have left me less than impressed, many have tatty dented bodywork, one bus lacked power on hills and sounded as though it had worn main bearings with loud knocking noises from MAN engine. At least two buses are running around with non-functioning speedometers, as the latter is a legal requirement it sets the tone on the corporate attitude to vehicle maintenance.

Whilst I am not a fan of the Diamond operation there is no point in holding your breath waiting for an announcement from Stagecoach about a takeover at Kidderminster as they have recently come clean about huge losses on the East Coast railway franchise, caused in the main by overestimating growth in passenger numbers by a wide margin. In all probability this major route will be taken back under state control (for the third time) and thus return to profitability as before. Stagecoach shares dropped considerably on this news and also because their bus sector isn't performing as well as expected either. Sorry if this is a disappointment!

MattW

Post by MattW » 17:31 Tuesday 27th February 2018

TimBrown wrote:
13:40 Tuesday 27th February 2018
Sorry if this is a disappointment!
The truth usually is Tim!
On a slightly related note, I've just applied for a job as a DVSA vehicle examiner so I might get to perform some roadside inspections!

chason

Post by chason » 08:33 Wednesday 28th February 2018

A few years back I worked for a trade union representing among many others, engineers at Travel West Midlands, as it then was. The Company decided to do some restructuring which involved the redundancy of some of the engineers. As a group, they were reluctant to take any sort of action so all we could do was to try to negotiate the best possible terms, which about half a dozen took advantage of.

At least two, to my knowledge, who left the company secured jobs with the vehicle inspectorate and were keenly anticipating making visits to their former employer muttering darkly things like "We shall know what to look for."

I retired soon afterwards so I never heard whether they did.

Reece S

Post by Reece S » 10:14 Monday 5th March 2018

Fuzzynutter wrote:
Oh I so do wish this was true but sadly it isn’t. :cry: In all fairness I could see any of the big operators open outstation here and compete on the 3s. It’s easy money if you ask me.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 16:55 Monday 5th March 2018

Reece S wrote:
10:14 Monday 5th March 2018
Fuzzynutter wrote:
Oh I so do wish this was true but sadly it isn’t. :cry: In all fairness I could see any of the big operators open outstation here and compete on the 3s. It’s easy money if you ask me.
I'm very surprised that Diamond have allowed themselves to lose the 294/5 and the Ludlow service, -- I would dare to say to local operators "Go in, and help yourselves !"

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 16:22 Thursday 29th March 2018

TimBrown wrote:
13:40 Tuesday 27th February 2018

Recent journeys on Diamond buses at Kidderminster and Redditch have left me less than impressed, many have tatty dented bodywork, one bus lacked power on hills and sounded as though it had worn main bearings with loud knocking noises from MAN engine. At least two buses are running around with non-functioning speedometers, as the latter is a legal requirement it sets the tone on the corporate attitude to vehicle maintenance.
I didn't give the fleet number a month ago, but it was 30006 which is seen in Worcester Crowngate bus station at 14-00 today. I don't know how long it had been parked on the 303 stand but it comes as no surprise that it has expired. I should think that most Diamond drivers will silently breath a sigh of relief and hope that the major engine engine work that was apparently needed in February is carried out. The bus should perform better on hills then, and run without heavy knocking noises at all engine revs!
29 March 2018 Crowngate 025.jpg

Return to “Diamond Bus (Rotala)”