Redditch bus routes under threat

Subforum for Diamond Bus Limited of Tividale, Redditch and Kidderminster (formerly The Diamond Bus Company Limited, The Birmingham Omnibus Company Limited, Go West Midlands Limited, etc.
WR1st

Re: Redditch bus routes under threat

Post by WR1st » 11:35 Sunday 24th July 2022

When I worked at Midland Red donkeys years ago and they threw the 61/62 and 178 in and Pete's Travel took them over the writing was on the wall then.
The only routes that MADE money back then were the 51 Batchley and 57/58 Newtown circular.
I remember Ken Mills stating that everything else was subsidised by those routes.
It is heartbreaking to see what has happened at Redditch. It was at one time a bus users town. People would catch the bus instead of using their motor to 'pop up town'.
Now all I see are empty buses apart from those routes I mentioned earlier.
With Diamonds purchase of Johnsons it is going to get even worse.
I was always personally hoping Johnsons would take over Redditch bus wise as the public love them.
My mom and dad, both in their late seventies, walk everywhere as the bus service in Redditch is so unreliable.
Heartbreaking to see it happen.

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 13:13 Sunday 24th July 2022

Back in the day I used to use the bus from Redditch to Birmingham a lot. It was great having the choice of routes via Alvechurch, via Bromsgrove or via Wythall. I usually opted for the 146 via Alvechurch as it was quicker but used to use the other routes sometimes for a change 🙂

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 06:34 Friday 5th August 2022

Here is a link to Diamond Bus website with update on the Redditch and Kidderminster services under threat of withdrawal;

https://www.diamondbuses.com/news/diamo ... ew-august/

The comment as the heading for these at risk routes indicates that revised proposals have been submitted to Worcestershire County Council by Rotala Diamond, as per the following statement;

(Quote) Service changes still under proposal:
Alternative proposals for services marked * have been submitted by Diamond Bus to Worcestershire County Council, we are currently awaiting feedback from the local authority on these proposals. (Unquote).

JustinTyme

Post by JustinTyme » 12:52 Friday 5th August 2022

Warwickshire County Council have announced today that the 247 will continue to operate at a reduced frequency, and will be rerouted at the Redditch end to replace the 67: -

https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... ugust-2022

trainbasher

Post by trainbasher » 21:38 Thursday 11th August 2022

The Redditch Advertiser reports that WCC and Diamond have come to an agreement over services...

https://www.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/ne ... agreement/
Redditch Advertiser wrote: WORCESTERSHIRE bus users will be able to continue their journeys around the county after an agreement has been reached with bus operators.

In the past few months, the county council has been working closely with operators to secure the immediate future of services as a host of routes were facing the chop.

An agreement has now been reached with bus operators to ensure all current services which were due to be withdrawn on August 31 will continue until at least the end of March 2023.

Councillor Simon Geraghty, Worcestershire County Council leader, said: “As we continue on our road to recovery from the Covid pandemic and the effect it has had on our county as a whole, and the use of public transport, in particular, I am really pleased that agreement has been reached on sustaining our enhanced contribution towards bus services for the academic year.

“It’s really important we support the availability of services for the people of Worcestershire.”

Councillor Mike Rouse, cabinet member for highways and transport, said: “We’ve worked closely with bus operators in the past few months to come up with a solution that benefits the residents of Worcestershire.

“I’m delighted to hear that an agreement has now been reached. Of course, work continues to continuously review, enhance and secure the future of bus services as part of our commitment to improving all forms of transport so we encourage positive, modal choices.”

Noggin1

Post by Noggin1 » 09:05 Friday 12th August 2022

A little more detail here:
https://www.diamondbuses.com/news/ww-au ... e-changes/
No mention of the 62, which might be a casualty. If so, it and the changes to the 67/247 are the main alterations. Have Diamond done a better deal than First?
Also Studley might wish it was in Worcestershire rather than Warwickshire because Astwood Bank has a half hour service.
Whilst I am pleased these services have been saved, I always fear these deals are just kicking the can down the road.

WR1st

Post by WR1st » 08:06 Sunday 14th August 2022

Updated Diamond website now states service 62 cancelled :evil:

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 20:53 Sunday 14th August 2022

A quick fix to plug part of the 62 would be to run the 149 Redditch to Worcester via Matchborough West along Battens Drive and Icknield Drive instead of Woodrow which has lots of buses anyway on the Matchborough circulars. The 149 isn't frequent but better than nothing at all. Doesn't help Matchborough East and Ravensbank Drive though unfortunately.

Noggin1

Post by Noggin1 » 17:58 Monday 15th August 2022

Diamond's webpage now says the 62 has been saved. Of course, tomorrow's another day.

WR1st

Post by WR1st » 06:27 Thursday 1st September 2022

Another update on the Redditch 62 service

https://www.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/ne ... employees/

Return to “Diamond Bus (Rotala)”