Job Losses

DD12

Job Losses

Post by DD12 » 14:15 Tuesday 25th August 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-53891126

Regrettably, the pandemic (and the end of the furlough scheme) is starting to reveal the damage done to coach operators.

I was hoping that extra schools work would help Johnsons more than this !

:(

AdamH

Re: Job Losses

Post by AdamH » 08:10 Wednesday 26th August 2020

I think it will be a very long time before the coach industry recovers, if at all. The bus side of things should bounce back a bit quicker, but even that won't be the same again.

TimBrown

Re: Job Losses

Post by TimBrown » 09:45 Wednesday 26th August 2020

AdamH wrote:
08:10 Wednesday 26th August 2020
I think it will be a very long time before the coach industry recovers, if at all. The bus side of things should bounce back a bit quicker, but even that won't be the same again.
The situation on our railways is desperate too, with DFT considering mothballing and closing branch lines. This seems a very negative approach, especially the threat to Cornwall's rail links where the alternative road network is very tortuous and slow. I feel that those in power should promote public transport as safe and stop encouraging people to use their polluting cars - if they don't do it very soon we are going to lose substantial sectors of bus and rail operations which will be needed when the real effect of Covid 19 causes mass unemployment and heavy tax rises with the unfortunates not able to afford to keep cars on the road and no means other than walking and cycling to shop for essentials and search for work.

Link is to a Transport Extra article indicating rail services on a knife edge;

https://www.transportxtra.com/publicati ... with-rail-

Return to “Johnsons / Whittles”