KEV'S Bus route 355 in Crowngate bus station.

TimBrown

KEV'S Bus route 355 in Crowngate bus station.

Post by TimBrown » 12:06 Wednesday 11th January 2017

A new operator into Worcester Crowngate Bus Station this year, 2017, is KEV's Bus using Plaxton Primo mini-buses on the winding 355 service between Worcester and Droitwich via Claines Church and the country lanes. I noted a '57' registered Primo last week on this service, but didn't have my camera to hand on that occasion.

Many years ago this route was numbered 22 by Midland Red West and operated on a half hourly frequency with Mercedes Benz 608 minibuses. Today the 355 manages three a day with a short school bus working from Perdiswell to Droitwich in the morning and return in the afternoon and I guess we are lucky it still runs at all!
11 January 2017 Worcester 018.jpg

DD12

Re: KEV'S Bus route 355 in Crowngate bus station.

Post by DD12 » 13:35 Wednesday 11th January 2017

TimBrown wrote:
12:06 Wednesday 11th January 2017
A new operator into Worcester Crowngate Bus Station this year, 2017, is KEV's Bus using Plaxton Primo mini-buses on the winding 355 service between Worcester and Droitwich via Claines Church and the country lanes. I noted a '57' registered Primo last week on this service, but didn't have my camera to hand on that occasion.

Many years ago this route was numbered 22 by Midland Red West and operated on a half hourly frequency with Mercedes Benz 608 minibuses. Today the 355 manages three a day with a short school bus working from Perdiswell to Droitwich in the morning and return in the afternoon and I guess we are lucky it still runs at all!
11 January 2017 Worcester 018.jpg
Thanks very much Tim for highlighting this change (and for the photo).

I have had it in mind "for years " to take a ride on this service, and I am also a fan of the overall layout of the Plaxton Primo.
As a non-(bus)-driver, I used to think that the short wheelbase and short rear overhang would make this bus more easily manoeuvrable than the equivalent Solo, but now I'm not so sure (?)

As you probably know, the Primo got-off to a very bad start in life, with major vibration problems (I believe) from the "Z-drive" mechanism (?)
- I'm surprised there are any still left in service, and although I read that Plaxton were determined to fix the problem, I don't know how far they succeeded (?)
I have got the impression that the Primos change ownership frequently (still).

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 22:19 Wednesday 11th January 2017

I remember the 22 route well as I used to drive it a lot. Under Midland Red West we ran every 30-minutes to Droitwich, work a few locals before a 22 back to Worcester.

The route was always used but we rarely had a full bus, with around 10 passengers being about the norm (in a 20-seat bus) per journey. When First took over they cut it back to every 60-minutes and the buses seemed to still carry around 10 passengers per journey. So they cut it again to every 2-hours, and the buses were then almost empty. With the service now ruined, First withdrew it and it was put out to contract by WCC.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 09:21 Thursday 12th January 2017

Thanks very much Tim for highlighting this change (and for the photo).

I have had it in mind "for years " to take a ride on this service, and I am also a fan of the overall layout of the Plaxton Primo.
As a non-(bus)-driver, I used to think that the short wheelbase and short rear overhang would make this bus more easily manoeuvrable than the equivalent Solo, but now I'm not so sure (?)

As you probably know, the Primo got-off to a very bad start in life, with major vibration problems (I believe) from the "Z-drive" mechanism (?)
- I'm surprised there are any still left in service, and although I read that Plaxton were determined to fix the problem, I don't know how far they succeeded (?)
I have got the impression that the Primos change ownership frequently (still).
If you are feeling flush with money a 2006 Primo was recently offered by Hill's for sale at £17K.

Wikipedia gives the history of Primo production as follows;

Launched by Plaxton in 2005 and based upon the Enterprise Bus Plasma.

A modified Primo 2 was introduced in 2008.

Production phased out during 2014 by parent company Alexander Dennis in favour of the Enviro 200.

Incidentally KEV'S Bus 57 reg Primo could be seen by bystanders to be vibrating on tickover which seems to be a similar scenario to First's second hand Enviro 200's and those shaking Cummins 4 cylinder engines!

MattW

Post by MattW » 11:24 Thursday 12th January 2017

Those are rather cute. Lets hope they can make a go of it.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 16:53 Thursday 12th January 2017

Driver is a grumpy bastard... Waved to him twice and let him out of Station Road yet I just got a dirty stare. Won't make that mistake again! :|

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 19:41 Thursday 12th January 2017

I did a few "tip runs" before the festive season to Madeley Heath dump and noted a "Primo" on Kevs yard so thanks for the i/d. [Assuming they only have the one of this type.]. It seems that this bus was new to Wrights of Newark and I think was last with WMSNT/IGO or whatever they are called now. :geek:

Reece S

Post by Reece S » 22:39 Thursday 12th January 2017

AdamH wrote:
16:53 Thursday 12th January 2017
Driver is a grumpy bastard... Waved to him twice and let him out of Station Road yet I just got a dirty stare. Won't make that mistake again! :|
He seemed alright when me and another Diamond driver were chatting to him in Droitwich the other week he was very friendly. He could of been having a bad day I guess or it was a different driver.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 14:14 Wednesday 18th January 2017

ANDREW wrote:
19:41 Thursday 12th January 2017
I did a few "tip runs" before the festive season to Madeley Heath dump and noted a "Primo" on Kevs yard so thanks for the i/d. [Assuming they only have the one of this type.]. It seems that this bus was new to Wrights of Newark and I think was last with WMSNT/IGO or whatever they are called now. :geek:
Very dull day so these snaps taken in Worcester Crowngate bus station are to record the fact that KEV's are also running this '57 reg 'Primo' on the 355 route between Worcester and Droitwich. Are any more stage carriage buses owned?
18 January 2017 Worcester 008.jpg
18 January 2017 Worcester 009.jpg

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 11:51 Thursday 19th January 2017

TimBrown wrote:
14:14 Wednesday 18th January 2017
Very dull day so these snaps taken in Worcester Crowngate bus station are to record the fact that KEV's are also running this '57 reg 'Primo' on the 355 route between Worcester and Droitwich. Are any more stage carriage buses owned?

18 January 2017 Worcester 008.jpg
18 January 2017 Worcester 009.jpg
Ah, thanks for the clarification , should have read the post in more detail !! :oops: Just to add to the "fun" , I also got a glimpse of a "yellow school bus" at the side of Kevs premises . . . . . . . What next ?? Double - deckers ?? :D

Return to “Johnsons / Whittles”