Kington opportunity ?

DD12

Kington opportunity ?

Post by DD12 » 17:57 Friday 16th February 2018

I see in today's "Notices + Proceedings", that Sargeants of Kington have had their operating license reduced from 27 vehicles to 22, with a further reduction of two to come in April.

I'm sad about this, as it could be the beginning of the end for them --
I'm wondering if any of their bus or schools work has already been taken-on by another operator ?

(I fancy the idea of FMR having an outstation in the area !)

AdamH

Re: Kington opportunity ?

Post by AdamH » 18:51 Friday 16th February 2018

That was a long way away when Hereford depot was open. I doubt it's got any closer since then! :lol:

When I worked at Hereford depot I remember their early morning buses into the City were always packed. Some times so much so that I often wondered if they were overloaded.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 20:18 Friday 16th February 2018

How about a Bromyard outstation then Adam ? ( :D )
- how old is Dave R. Morris - will he retire soon ?

I've always felt that one of the big bus companies ought to have had one here in the past.

Sargeants have, in the recent past, (during the day, I think) - parked a single-decker near Martley School, which I assume it's serving --
and if so, I don't know what the arrangement for the driver would be ! (?)

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 08:47 Saturday 17th February 2018

With the current work we do, an outstation in Ledbury would make much more sense than Bromyard. And I can’t see David willingly stepping down any time soon. He’s not the type to retire!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 09:12 Saturday 17th February 2018

Speak of the Devil...

Just bumped into David in Ledbury and we had a brief chat. No, I didn’t ask how old he is! He asked how well our contracts are doing and I know he was upset about loosing the 672 etc so my reply only mentioned the ex-Aston’s work.

Do you know he has a 1-Bus outstation in Ledbury, which is used to house a bus for school services...

DD12

Post by DD12 » 11:43 Saturday 17th February 2018

Thanks Adam, - I didn't know about his one bus outstation.

Are Smiths of Ledbury still in business, can you tell me ?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 12:25 Saturday 17th February 2018

Yes, they are still on the corner opposite the rail station. Their Plaxton Verde scrap bus is still parked in the corner of their yard, slowly becoming one with nature.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 12:40 Saturday 17th February 2018

Thanks Adam.

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:36 Saturday 17th February 2018

I always used to like the Smiths livery. Nice and simple ;)

They used to do some school runs into the Chase (maybe they still do) but of course most of those were in the hands of Malvernian Tours. Anybody got any decent pics of Malvernian Tours vehicles? There are a few on the internet, but I'd like to see some more.

chason

Post by chason » 09:18 Sunday 18th February 2018

AdamH wrote:
09:12 Saturday 17th February 2018
Speak of the Devil...

Just bumped into David in Ledbury and we had a brief chat. No, I didn’t ask how old he is! He asked how well our contracts are doing and I know he was upset about loosing the 672 etc so my reply only mentioned the ex-Aston’s work.

Do you know he has a 1-Bus outstation in Ledbury, which is used to house a bus for school services...
I had he pleasure of spending the day with him at an adjacent table on a dining charter train from Worcester to the Cumbrian coast and back, probably close on 20 years ago. My wife hailed from Bromyard and we had an interesting chat going back to the days of his father, Bill Morris, who had a coach business before David set up DRM from the same site but pretty much in competition with him. For those who remember, Bill always drove wearing a trilby hat and his small fleet all had the distinction of having a roof mounted flashing orange warning light, although I never knew why. Perhaps I should have asked David and maybe they broke down a lot. Perhaps an idea for Diamond!

I agree that David is the sort of chap who is very unlikely to ever retire but a very astute businessman who knows the bus world very well, hence managing to survive during the very difficult times when many have folded.
At that time, I believe he was on the national council of one of the bus industry trade associations so was familiar with the broader industry. I seem to remember when he wasn't talking to us, he was kicking around a few adjustments to his fare tables, maybe not exactly on the back of a fag packet but certainly a sheet of scrap paper!!

Return to “Yeomans / Lugg Valley”