BOD, WOD, and DRT !

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

BOD, WOD, and DRT !

Post by DD12 » 19:59 Friday 16th July 2021

TimBrown

Re: BOD, WOD, and DRT !

Post by TimBrown » 14:45 Monday 19th July 2021

Here is the Diamond Bus BOD marketing website service starting today Monday 19 July 2021;
https://www.diamondbuses.com/news/bromsgrove-on-demand/

Note that it costs £2-50 per journey and that buses are only bookable using an APP, the driver will not accept payment. That in itself is a retrograde step for the likes of your's truly who doesn't use a mobile phone. Not only that, it also means that those most likely to need a door to door service i.e. the old and disabled must pay for the privilege despite having a valid concessionary pass. At £5 for a short return trip, it might be a better option for those with money to spend ordering a taxi which in the light of Covid would preclude having to mix with a possible twelve other passengers. Also, if it works (and my cynical mind thinks not) then it might well take the slim number of passengers away from struggling existing Bromsgrove stage carriage services with obvious long term effects to viability and reduced frequencies.

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 15:47 Monday 19th July 2021

Nicely posed photo on the Diamond site link , thats £7.50 in fares then . . . . . . :o

DD12

Post by DD12 » 15:53 Monday 19th July 2021

I find it slightly worrying that WCC have chosen DIAMOND to run this service !

Diamond may have tried very hard in the last 2 or 3 years to provide a good service in Worcestershire, but as an enthusiast, I would not be happy if First pull-out, and Diamond take-over !!

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 15:46 Wednesday 21st July 2021

The two minibuses on the service look smart , only seen them parked up on Church Street behind Asda as yet . :?

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 12:23 Saturday 21st August 2021

The local press suggest that initial patronage has "exceeded expectations" .

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 21:17 Saturday 21st August 2021

You mean that they have had 2 passengers?

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 12:23 Monday 23rd August 2021

bmmoboy wrote:
21:17 Saturday 21st August 2021
You mean that they have had 2 passengers?
I guess that is more passengers than before the service was introduced. :D

DD12

Post by DD12 » 14:47 Thursday 30th September 2021

...... and BSIP !!!

https://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/news/ ... estershire

"Looking good" for operators and passengers, - once there are enough drivers !!

I know there are some pitfalls and negative posibilities and outcomes to comment on, but for now, I shall keep my fingers crossed !

Presumably First will stay as the main operator in South Worcestershire, and earn extra income by cooperating fully with the county council, and a suitable new site for the WR depot will be found soon !

At least one advantage (in my opinion) of privatisation (1986 +) is that a commercial core of operations / work has evolved and become well established, so that should leave First in the position to tell the county council when extra vehicles and extra drivers would be needed for extra services,
but otherwise, First ( - with it's economies of scale) may be able to tender competitively for some extra work using existing vehicles.

Likewise, the other, smaller operators (with enough drivers !) will be able to tender.

Plenty of scope for comments and conjecture here !! ..........

943KHA

Post by 943KHA » 19:12 Thursday 30th September 2021

Sorry, I thought it was April Fool's day today...............

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”