Possible Non-Runners (?)

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
AdamH

Re: Possible Non-Runners (?)

Post by AdamH » 21:11 Tuesday 13th December 2016

I wonder if the A38 closure has delayed to vehicle running to to school? Normally it would run to Upton via the A38 as this is easier and quicker than running via Callow End, but with Kempsey closed all week everything must go through Callow End and it's getting rather congested.

I worked a 382 today and there were loads of cars and trucks trying to squeeze through Littleworth at the same time.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 20:05 Friday 13th January 2017

- Missing again today !

- There were only 3 "losers" waiting for return bus today (the 17.05 from St.Peters) - They were at the St.Marks Church bus stop, and had to wait about 40 minutes again.

When I started this thread last September, I didn't expect the problem to last this long ! ( - During the previous period - of April to September, I did not notice any problems with the 32).

I would like to "climb-down" from a couple of my "whinges" higher up the thread : -
The use of a solo on the 16.30 333 from Crowngate, now appears to be adequate ( - perhaps passengers have fallen away :D )

- and since my comment that the bus on the 32A which provides the 17.05 32 from Crowngate to Kempsey would be likely to get delayed on the Southern Link Road, the worst I've seen was only 5 minutes late ! ( - Sorry ! )

DD12

Post by DD12 » 19:18 Tuesday 17th January 2017

And (missing) again today.
- two people and a baby waiting for 40 minutes, near the top of the Bath Road, for the 32 that was supposed to leave the St.Peters terminus at 17.05, - (to Crowngate).

I believe that for many years, First has missed-off various 32s (the Southern section) and/or not dispatched an extra 32 from Crowngate when the intended vehicle+driver is delayed elsewhere; - BUT - prior to April 2016, I only ever saw people having to wait 10 to 30 minutes for the next one !

It appears that the key people at First think that this situation is acceptable !?

- "PEOPLE NOT COMPLAINING" ?? - A member of my family made a written complaint in recent years - she was fully justified, - and did so in a pleasant manner, and gave First information that First needed to know -
the reply she got was "stupid and somewhat insulting".

In the last 12 months, she and another lady both clearly stuck out their hands at the Cathedral bus stop, only for Reg Varney to go cruising past !
- needless to say she didn't bother complaining this time.

When I contacted the company last September/ October about this missing
bus - (I used twitter and the online website contact "box") - the replies I got were "generic" and did not acknowledge the problem that I reported (and which still persists).

I am wondering what the point was of extending many journeys of the 32 to+from Kempsey (from last April), whilst at the same time alienating the people on the Bath Road and St.Peters section (?)

Have First already received "developer money" due from the new housing at Kempsey ?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 19:48 Tuesday 17th January 2017

The 32 has suffered a lot over the last two days with the roadworks in Sidbury. On Monday I ran the 1545 from Crowngate to St. Peters. I departed the stand about one minute late and then just sat in traffic on Deansway. I dropped off my first passenger at the first stop on Bath Road at 1632, having taken over 45-minutes to get from Crowngate to the junction with Bath Road. That journey runs dead from St. Peters to Sixth Form College to run the 1620 Service 363 to Tewkesbury so obviously that was very late.

Tonight the 1645 was me, or should have been. I was early at the school and departed spot on time for the 365 but struggled from there. I was in 32067 which is still very slow with a full load, and the roadworks in Malvern held me up for ages. I arrived in Crowngate fully intending to run the service even though I was late (I knew you'd be watching!) but the 1705 was on the stand loading passengers and I was instructed to drop the service and ensure the 1730 short 144 ran on time.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 21:23 Tuesday 17th January 2017

Thanks Adam ! :cry: :cry:

chason

Post by chason » 09:00 Wednesday 18th January 2017

It's good to get Adam's take on this and I am sure the wider travelling public would understand were the reasons for lateness and missed journeys to be made known and when they are clearly beyond the operators control.

It's even more of a pity, therefore, that the operator cannot be bothered (and I can think of no other reason) to respond properly to the sort of valid complaints that DD12 describes. It's no use expecting platform staff to adopt a high level of customer service when clearly the company doesn't.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 21:20 Wednesday 18th January 2017

On Monday, the 1645 departed Crowngate on time, and I was on the 1645 to County Hall. The roadworks in Sidbury were causing gridlock, and I got to the Cathedral Roundabout at 1735, and the 32 was behind me, so by the time we both got the end of Sidbury, we were both about an hour late! Needless to say the 1730 short 144 did not run!!!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 23:41 Wednesday 18th January 2017

AdamH wrote:
19:48 Tuesday 17th January 2017
........ but the 1705 was on the stand loading passengers and I was instructed to drop the service and ensure the 1730 short 144 ran on time.
Thanks Adam and bmmoboy !
It may amuse you to learn ( - or cause you to bang your heads against a wall) that
The Crowngate 17.05 departure of the 32 (to Kempsey+Baynhall) took just 5 minutes to get to the Sidbury/City Walls Road junction on Tuesday !

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 07:32 Thursday 19th January 2017

Yes I know, the roadworks in Sidbury had gone by then but most people didn't know this and car drivers were still avoiding the area.

My problems were once again at the Malvern end. When the times were adjusted last year it seemed to do the trick, but it didn't last long. Traffic moves slower in the winter and it is just about impossible to get back on time now. I will raise the matter again when I can, but as all vehicles are already on the road during the afternoon peak I can't see any easy solution.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 19:17 Thursday 19th January 2017

Thanks DD12 - can you hear the sound of me banging my head against a wall!!

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”