Autumn service changes ??

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
Peter

Re: Autumn service changes ??

Post by Peter » 11:32 Thursday 10th August 2017

AdamH wrote:
07:42 Thursday 10th August 2017
From memory, work won by First...

417 Worcester-Cradley-Ledbury
405 Cradley-Bromyard-Hereford (Wednesday only)
400 Bromyard local (1 journey only??)
482 Bromyard-Leominster (Friday only)
600 Ledbury local
672/4 Bromyard-Ledbury
675/6 Malvern-Colwall-Ledbury
Ledbury-Much Marcle School.

I understand the 417 will be run with a Dart to a new timetable, while the 675/6 will use a Solo and will be extended to the new supermarket in Ledbury.
Very useful list Adam and very good chunk of work won, would love to see FMR expand further in subsequent tender rounds! Guessing there's 4/5 buses' work there, depending on how they're worked. It'll be interesting to see if the existing routes see expansion too!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 14:05 Thursday 10th August 2017

Starting date for the Herefordshire Contract work is 4th September. The changes in Worcester, including the Pershore area talked about elsewhere, is still not finalised and will most likely be the school half-term holiday now, in October.

The PVR for the contract work is 5 on school days and 3 on Saturdays. During school holidays it will be 4 on the days the 405 and 482 run, 3 otherwise.

The Service 400 journey will be run as an extension to a journey from outside the town so 400 will not be shown on the destination display.

sockin-1975

Post by sockin-1975 » 17:19 Thursday 10th August 2017

Ironically 3 of the Solo's currently at First Cymru are Ex Astons Coaches which used to run those services( MX56NLJ / K and VX57CYO). None of those did have seat belts. CN06BXF is of the belted ones at First Cymru , as this was stored at Astons yard during the Veolia Sale. Astons kept sister vehicle CN06BXE for a few years.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 10:28 Friday 11th August 2017

I see from the home page, that the contract for the 417 is for an impressive 7 years ! -
are all the Herefordshire gains for 7 years, Adam ?

Also, if my memory serves me right, I believe Adam that you are "allocated" to a section of our drivers (or rota) for certain rural services, that was set-up when the Upton services were taken-over from Astons (ie: with different employment conditions/ contract) (?) -
- if so, is this separate section/ rota of drivers to be expanded to cover the new work ?

I would like it if FMR could continue to gain bus service work, and school contracts from Astons -
Astons MIGHT be interested in "down-sizing" if their plan for new housing at their Clerkenleap base is approved,
and I would GUESS that our WR operation needs profitable work for at least 90 vehicles.

Peter

Post by Peter » 11:18 Friday 11th August 2017

DD12 wrote:
10:28 Friday 11th August 2017
I see from the home page, that the contract for the 417 is for an impressive 7 years ! -
are all the Herefordshire gains for 7 years, Adam ?

Also, if my memory serves me right, I believe Adam that you are "allocated" to a section of our drivers (or rota) for certain rural services, that was set-up when the Upton services were taken-over from Astons (ie: with different employment conditions/ contract) (?) -
- if so, is this separate section/ rota of drivers to be expanded to cover the new work ?

I would like it if FMR could continue to gain bus service work, and school contracts from Astons -
Astons MIGHT be interested in "down-sizing" if their plan for new housing at their Clerkenleap base is approved,
and I would GUESS that our WR operation needs profitable work for at least 90 vehicles.
I agree DD12, it'd be great to see WR continue to expand through contract wins and commercial enhancements. Do we know when Astons/LMS WCC tenders are up? I am surprised that First seem suddenly interested in tendered work a fair way away from base, with the exception of the 417. They've ditched tenders jn Centro county, across Worcestershire and left Hereford a year after extra tenders were won. Some are even one day per week services you don't expect to see larger companies win... Is it an attempt to stem WR's hefty losses?

MattW

Post by MattW » 20:02 Friday 11th August 2017

Should be some good photo opportunities, if nothing else!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:13 Friday 11th August 2017

While the bulk of the work, which includes the 417, is on a seven year contract some of the more obscure work like the 405 is only on a one year contract. If passenger numbers improve on this during the next year the contract will be extended, if they don't the service will be withdrawn. Use it or loose it.

The Country Rota was originally set up when Diamond pulled out of their Worcester Contracts and their drivers moved to First under Tupe rules. As they were still working under Diamond terms they were paid Diamond rates and could only work the services covered in the emergency contract, hence a separate rota. It wasn't long before some of them started to leave and First drivers moved onto the rota to cover the work (at First rates of pay obviously). I was one such driver. The rota has evolved over the years and now has ten drivers covering all 363 and 420 journeys, plus a sizeable number of 44B, 332, and 373 journeys. We also do some 382 and 551 work.

A new rota will be created for the Herefordshire Contract work and volunteers have been invited to put their names forward. There will be five drivers on the rota and all will require a Herefordshire CRB check to work the school service. This often takes a few months to complete so Herefordshire Council have agreed to honour Worcestershire CRB cards until the certificates arrive.

Both my son and I have already put our names forward and have completed our CRB paperwork. I believe WR1st has also applied but I doubt he'll pass a CRB as he's a right dodgy character. :lol: This new work is looking like it is very popular with drivers as there will be a number of meal breaks taken away from home base (Crowngate or Padmore Street) so the company are obliged to pay this time at normal driving rate, therefore drivers on the new rota will get more money. Every little helps!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 20:52 Friday 11th August 2017

A brilliant lot of info from you Adam ! - Thanks very much.

- one doesn't find this kind of interesting detail and insight on other bus forums ! :)

chason

Post by chason » 09:40 Sunday 13th August 2017

DD12 wrote:
20:52 Friday 11th August 2017
A brilliant lot of info from you Adam ! - Thanks very much.

- one doesn't find this kind of interesting detail and insight on other bus forums ! :)
Agreed - a fascinating insight into the workings of the industry these days. Thank you.

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:13 Sunday 13th August 2017

The Hereford bus station cafe is very good! :twisted:

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”