Devastated Services (Coronavirus)

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

Devastated Services (Coronavirus)

Post by DD12 » 00:33 Wednesday 25th March 2020

https://www.firstgroup.com/worcestershi ... nformation

Well who would have believed things could get so bad.

At least when "this" is all over, we have a government that has recognised the importance of bus services, and is willing to put more money and help into them ( - if there is going to be any money left, that is).

Unfortunately there is an established pattern (I believe) that once you lose bus passengers, it's extremely difficult to get them back again, - and the Worcester city shops (already "extremely challenged", and now to be deserted ?) form the central hub of the FMR bus network.

Obviously our most important concern is for our loved-ones, but what is everything going to look like when "it's all over" ??

marck

Re: Devastated Services (Coronavirus)

Post by marck » 01:16 Wednesday 25th March 2020

Just noticed it says there route X50 every 20 hours, whoops might be 2 hours perhaps?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 08:37 Wednesday 25th March 2020

From Monday 50% of staff at Worcester depot are being sent home.

Meanwhile, there are still significant numbers of people using buses for non-essential travel. There have been dozens of reports of people - mostly OAPs - getting on a bus and just riding around and getting off again where they started their journey.

In the light of Government advice and rules, this is not acceptable and needs to stop. I expect services will be cut if it continues.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 10:10 Wednesday 25th March 2020

The plan is for drivers to work two weeks on, two weeks off.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 10:11 Wednesday 25th March 2020

Also noticed that the X50 runs between Worcester and Evesham only on Sundays, that should say Worcester and Pershore

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 11:26 Wednesday 25th March 2020

AdamH wrote:
08:37 Wednesday 25th March 2020

Meanwhile, there are still significant numbers of people using buses for non-essential travel. There have been dozens of reports of people - mostly OAPs - getting on a bus and just riding around and getting off again where they started their journey.

In the light of Government advice and rules, this is not acceptable and needs to stop. I expect services will be cut if it continues.
What a mess! There is good news and bad news for pensioners; the good news is that they can use their concessionary passes before 09-30 am the bad news is that HM Government makes it illegal for them to leave the house! I wonder if they are all Citaro enthusiasts having their last rides before half the fleet is mothballed?

Seriously though I understand AdamH's concerns.

As a 75 year old 'bus man' I used my 37 into town to pick up some prescriptions last Thursday 19 March 2020 and reluctantly have no intention of using public transport again, except for emergencies, or until instructed by Boris and the 'all clear' is given. However, many elderly folks do not have the luxury of their own cars and still need the bus for their weekly shop and unavoidable visits to GP and Hospital appointments. Best advice is to take an early morning walk and get on with some gardening, if able, or wrap up warm and read a book in the sun when it shows itself! Wherever possible isolate and stay safe.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 12:25 Wednesday 25th March 2020

It appears that there will be NO First buses between Upton and Worcester (unless this is an over-sight / error in the "notices") !!

That also means none serving Welland, Hanley Swan, and Callow End -- -- so how will certain people cope ?
-- grocery delivery slots (Tesco) are fully booked for the next 3 weeks, village shops and shops in Upton will surely rapidly run-out of essentials (?)

-- some key workers still having to get to / from a workplace ??

Maybe Astons will run a replacement, as they already run the 332 (?) --
they should have enough drivers, - although they might not have enough "ideal"
accessible single-deckers.

:?:

DD12

Post by DD12 » 14:00 Wednesday 25th March 2020

bmmoboy wrote:
10:10 Wednesday 25th March 2020
The plan is for drivers to work two weeks on, two weeks off.
That sounds like a sensible, simple plan -- -- I hope that you all get 80% of your lost wages,
and that everything works-out well for you all.

I also hope that all paying passengers have contactless cards that are working properly.

GOOD HEALTH all !

MattW

Post by MattW » 15:22 Wednesday 25th March 2020

That is a pretty big drop. Hopefully once this malarkey is over it will get back to something like normality.

With regard to Upton, the Spar there is one of the best shops in the area, I went in just after lunchtime today, full stocks of fresh fruit and veg and not too many other gaps.

As well as collecting eggs and planting up the garden, I'm volunteering delivering shopping from the also excellent Welland shop to those who can't get out, might as well make some use of my time.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 19:14 Wednesday 25th March 2020

MattW wrote:
15:22 Wednesday 25th March 2020

With regard to Upton, the Spar there is one of the best shops in the area, I went in just after lunchtime today, full stocks of fresh fruit and veg and not too many other gaps.

As well as collecting eggs and planting up the garden, I'm volunteering delivering shopping from the also excellent Welland shop to those who can't get out, might as well make some use of my time.
Well that's better news, thanks Matt.

I forgot that the smaller "chains" like Spar, can prioritise deliveries to their rural shops if necessary.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”