Concessionary Passes in Worcestershire

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
AdamH

Concessionary Passes in Worcestershire

Post by AdamH » 17:11 Wednesday 18th March 2020

Good news for some...
Attachments
EF5A977D-BABD-43BC-82A5-29AC4610A5F5.jpeg

chason

Re: Concessionary Passes in Worcestershire

Post by chason » 18:26 Wednesday 18th March 2020

Good news indeed,.
It'll be interesting to see what impact the current Coronavirus situation will have on public transport. I passed Bromsgrove railway station this afternoon when the car park would usually be almost full. Today I was quite surprised to see that it was barely 10% occupied so I guess there must be quite an effect on both railways and buses which will presumably have serious economic consequences.

Matt

Post by Matt » 23:01 Wednesday 18th March 2020

I have been travelling daily this week from Worcestershire to near Birmingham Airport, a journey which would normally take an hour or more is taking a little over 30 mins, similar effect in the evening, this suggests a lot of people are not commuting. It’s event more likely that those who are will be doing so by non public transport. The airlines are all shouting about revenues, I suspect it will be bus and rail next who are requesting government support to stabilise their business, especially the likes of NX with their ongoing fleet investment program.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 07:53 Thursday 19th March 2020

I think coach operators are going to be hit very hard... No schools, no tours, no private hires. What is left for them to do?

Chatting to a NatEx driver on a 444 to London last night. He is on a 2-day week starting on Monday and some of his colleagues have already been given notice of redundancy.

chason

Post by chason » 16:22 Thursday 19th March 2020

The Times On Line reports that National Express (coaches) are going to be running to their Christmas timetable and that National Express West Midlands will be running on weekdays to its Sunday timetables. All this I would think is unprecedented since the second World War.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 17:26 Thursday 19th March 2020

Indeed. Some major problems on the horizon. Stagecoach West will move to a Saturday timetable on Monday, for one week only. The following week will be an emergency timetable that is currently in the planning. Expect drastic cuts to city routes.

Julie

Post by Julie » 01:41 Friday 20th March 2020

Much the same up here in Yorkshire too I'm afraid.....

Also, the rally season has been destroyed so my Tigers remain SORNed for the foreseeable future.

Best wishes to all and stay safe.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 05:44 Friday 20th March 2020

Julie wrote:
01:41 Friday 20th March 2020
Much the same up here in Yorkshire too I'm afraid.....

Also, the rally season has been destroyed so my Tigers remain SORNed for the foreseeable future.

Best wishes to all and stay safe.
Yes the 'disease' has meant cancellation of bus rallies and railway charters for the foreseeable future. Thanks for best wishes to all and stay safe - my best wishes too.

If you are missing vintage bus rallies, there are plenty of photos on this site under 'preservation' taken over the years at various events.

I travelled down to town on the 37 yesterday at 11-35 and surprised to see 5 passengers use the service. After picking up my prescriptions the return journey from Crowngate at
12-20 carried 7 or 8 intrepid people - guess we were getting things done before it all grinds to a halt!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 14:50 Saturday 21st March 2020

Gloucestershire Council have now also agreed to pay for concessionary cards to be used 24/7.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”