Revised 37 route from 26 January 2020.

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
TimBrown

Re: Revised 37 route from 26 January 2020.

Post by TimBrown » 10:20 Sunday 16th August 2020

Brendan wrote:
00:06 Sunday 16th August 2020
With all this in mind it needs to be noted that the Tory councillors currently in power on the county council HATE busses or any form of alternative of public transport....
I am not particularly drawn to Conservative policies, but feel honour bound to put it on record that my local Tory County Councillor, Andy Stafford has been instrumental in supporting the 37 bus service and managed to have the withdrawn Saturday service reinstated using his 'special fund'. In addition he was instrumental in releasing the Cherrytrees developers' money which went to improved early morning and late afternoon workings on the 37 pre-Covid 19. On top of of that he was foremost in pushing for financial support which led to the 303 service being reinstated after DIAMOND took it upon themselves to withdraw it completely right at the start of Covid 19 pandemic. I can also state that he has always replied to my e-mails with comprehensive details on several occasions when I brought the situation on both the 37 and 303 to his notice.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 13:22 Sunday 16th August 2020

I am not particularly drawn to Conservative policies either, but it is encouraging to note that the Government has pledged money to keep services running, regardless of patronage, "until as long as it is needed'

DD12

Post by DD12 » 18:52 Sunday 16th August 2020

Thanks Tim for the info. above !!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 05:55 Monday 17th August 2020

DD12 wrote:
18:52 Sunday 16th August 2020
Thanks Tim for the info. above !!
In addition to the above I am very concerned that all the good work done by Andy Stafford will be negated by the poor number of passengers carried on the local bus services. I admit to using my car into the city where bus travel was the norm before Covid 19; at 75 years of age I am in the high risk category - not only that but Mr Johnson and the 'scientific' advisers urged everyone to walk, ride a bike or use their car in preference to public transport. High time that we, the public, are given assurances that it is safe to travel by public transport and given some real incentives to make that return.

It isn't only the bus services which are suffering, the car parks around Shrub Hill station are empty at 9 am on any weekday now, where they would be full to capacity by 7-30 am pre-Covid 19. It has been remarked in an editorial in Railway Magazine that empty trains and buses will lead to drastic timetable cuts when the Government subsidies are reduced or withdrawn. This in turn will mean redundancies. Where will a train driver on £65K per annum find similar employment when all that is available is zero-hours contracts on minimum wage?

The economy is taking a very heavy bashing at present with all the transport subsidies, and employment furlough payments costing the Exchequer billions, possibly trillions. Businesses are also seeking reductions in taxation which will add to the burden. Even though the Government can borrow very cheaply at present, there are no guarantees that interest rates will remain at rock bottom forever. The whole situation is about to be made worse when we crash out of the EU with no deal on 31 December 2020, probably putting an extra 10% on imports and exports. It will mean we are all going to have to pay for the hefty deficit in the near future and I reluctantly predict increases in VAT and income tax next year. Can anyone see the glimmer of light at end of the tunnel?

Julie

Post by Julie » 13:27 Tuesday 18th August 2020

Your analysis makes grim reading Tim.

I recall a senior minister reassuring us that all would be well as, with free trade deals around the world, we would be able to thrive by exporting things like we used to. Things like cars, lorries, trains, ships, aeroplanes, industrial machinery and other manufactured goods.

Can anyone else see the problem here?

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 08:43 Wednesday 19th August 2020

Julie wrote:
13:27 Tuesday 18th August 2020
Your analysis makes grim reading Tim.

I recall a senior minister reassuring us that all would be well as, with free trade deals around the world, we would be able to thrive by exporting things like we used to. Things like cars, lorries, trains, ships, aeroplanes, industrial machinery and other manufactured goods.

Can anyone else see the problem here?
Demonic Cummings and his willing muppets will sort it all out by Christmas. But which year? :lol:

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”