Further media coverage about Worcesters diminishing bus services

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
TimBrown

Re: Further media coverage about Worcesters diminishing bus services

Post by TimBrown » 11:29 Sunday 10th November 2019

bmmoboy wrote:
15:36 Saturday 9th November 2019
Looks like the persistence of a forum member and several others have managed to obtain a u-turn.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/18 ... lsADVwOTWw
Yes, a big thank you to Mel Allcott, Andy Stafford and Nigel Eggleton for negotiating the new deal. All we need now is the promised promotional initiative from Worcs. County Council and some slick marketing by First Bus, a load more bums on seats and the 37 route will be guaranteed for a long time to come - hopefully!

Presumably the 37 bus will soon be running along Bevere Close, across Green Lane and through the Cherry Orchard development in accordance with the S106 agreement between the developers and Worcs. County Council now the building work is nearing completion?

MattW

Post by MattW » 14:46 Monday 11th November 2019

Good news TIm. Lets hope theres a decent usable timetable.

marck

Post by marck » 19:54 Monday 11th November 2019

Still no timetable available on first's website

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 14:01 Friday 15th November 2019

marck wrote:
19:54 Monday 11th November 2019
Still no timetable available on first's website
The new 37 timetable from 23 November 2019 is now on First Bus website as per attached link, however it is only for a short period i.e. Weekday only until 03 January 2020 and the Saturday offering only until 04 January 2020. Just have to hope that usage picks up in the above six weeks as I feel the service is still very much on a trial basis!

https://www.firstgroup.com/worcestershi ... ource_id=3

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 09:28 Monday 18th November 2019

This came through my letterbox yesterday from The Conservative Party; good to hear that our MP Robin Walker is delighted to see the return of the 37 Saturday bus service as he must be very busy preparing for the General Election in four weeks time on 12 December 2019.

I would say to Robin Walker that Worcester people are, in common with most of the UK, very car dependent and a great deal has to change in our cities and towns with a whole raft of initiatives starting from the top, i.e. whichever party comes to power, to encourage car owners to use public transport. Good as it is to have a resumption of the Saturday 37, I don't believe that Councillor Andy Stafford's Divisional Fund will help much in the long term as it is only £10,000 per annum - these days a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of maintaining the many marginal city and county bus routes. What is needed is the restoration of the Government support to County Councils which was cut by 75% in recent years under the Conservative austerity regime to pay for the Bankers' Folly.

I am still looking forward to seeing the planned marketing initiatives by Andy Stafford and First Bus to generate increased bus usage in Worcester City though - bring it on!
Saturday 37 service saved 001.jpg

MattW

Post by MattW » 15:04 Monday 18th November 2019

Lets hope they actually DO something apart from wallow in self-congratulation eh Tim?

I've always wondered if certain things like transport, NHS etc should be run by people who know what they're doing, independent of whoever is in government. Probably unworkable though!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 12:14 Thursday 21st November 2019

MattW wrote:
15:04 Monday 18th November 2019
Lets hope they actually DO something apart from wallow in self-congratulation eh Tim?

I've always wondered if certain things like transport, NHS etc should be run by people who know what they're doing, independent of whoever is in government. Probably unworkable though!
After all the meetings, petitions, 'people power' and publicity to save the Saturday service, this link from First Bus confirms that the weekend 37 is ONLY ON A TRIAL BASIS!

https://www.firstgroup.com/worcestershi ... resumes-23

Back to Square one in January 2020 then?

DD12

Post by DD12 » 13:00 Thursday 21st November 2019

TimBrown wrote:
12:14 Thursday 21st November 2019

What, - after the general election you mean Tim ?? !!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 15:04 Thursday 21st November 2019

DD12 wrote:
13:00 Thursday 21st November 2019
TimBrown wrote:
12:14 Thursday 21st November 2019

What, - after the general election you mean Tim ?? !!
Yes, that includes the Saturday bus service (or lack of it) and the result of the battle between Catweazel and Old Man Steptoe! Will the Brexit nightmare never end?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 16:18 Thursday 21st November 2019

I seem to remember from our conversation with the MD that he said the 37 was scheduled to be retimed in January. This was the meeting before the Saturday service was reinstated, so I’m guessing the Saturday journeys will chance then too.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”