Future Services - suggestions

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

Future Services - suggestions

Post by DD12 » 16:31 Wednesday 1st March 2017

I believe I have the luxury and freedom to fantasize and post my "wish-list", so here is some of it:-

During the "noughties" I got the impression that First had built-up passenger numbers between Pershore and Worcester, - does anyone know how these are doing currently ? - especially the X50 ?
I haven't made a serious study of this, but I like the idea of tapping into more of the potential.
I would "love it" if were viable to regularly use a StreetDeck on certain workings - perhaps on a direct X50 (the StreetDecks can probably turn "in one go", in the square in the centre of Pershore ).
The development of the Norton Parkway station has now got the GO-AHEAD, I believe. (ie: along the route).
Perhaps an extra StreetDeck or two could run between Crowngate and County Hall as a Pershore or Evesham service, instead of a 44 (?)

I believe that WorcS County Council want to reduce the cost of their school bus contacts, and I like the idea of First being able to provide some replacement public bus services, serving the schools in the Pershore area, with the bus able to provide (enhanced) public bus services before and after the school-runs.

I like the idea of WR's two "yellow-turkeys" ( - for Pershore schools), being replaced by buses (DDs :D ) that can be used after PM schools to provide more reliable services in or around Worcester.

I also like the idea of an under-utilised bus in Pershore or Upton being driven the two places - off-service, ie to plug a gap, - or used on the 382.

MattW

Re: Future Services - suggestions

Post by MattW » 19:33 Wednesday 1st March 2017

I have several friends with elderly parents who live in Evesham or Pershore and they can't say a bad thing about the X50. So much so that they now avoid any 551s because they simply take too long :lol:

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 19:51 Wednesday 1st March 2017

The X50 is very popular with those who use it because it does just what it says on the route branding... "fast direct". A few weeks ago I was working a 551 towards Worcester and the X50 that should have been in front was running late. There were a lot of moans that they had to catch the "slow bus" and it didn't help that while I was waiting to turn right into Drakes Broughton Village the X50 caught and overtook me so fast it rattled my windows! Then they really started to moan. :lol:

The down-side to all of this is that the 551 is suffering. It has already been cut back from Evesham to Upper/Lower Moor and despite loads of complaints in the newspaper and various public meetings it is looking highly unlikely it will be re-instated to Evesham any time soon. This means the X50 will continue to divert via Cropthorne and Charlton during off-peak times, diluting it's appeal as a "fast direct" route somewhat.

There are local elections soon, so what we need is some new faces in office who will be willing to part-fund the 551 (and 382 too please) to cover all the villages, and that will free up the X50 to provide the fast link between Evesham, Pershore and Worcester that (most) people want.

I hate the yellow school buses just as much as the next person, but they will probably be around for a while. They have high capacity being 2+3 seating and those rural routes are not suited for double-deck buses due to low trees. Also, they still have significant book value and nobody else is stupid enough to buy them new, never mind second-hand.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 22:27 Wednesday 1st March 2017

Thanks Adam and Matt ;)

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 13:59 Thursday 2nd March 2017

AdamH wrote:
19:51 Wednesday 1st March 2017
...There are local elections soon, so what we need is some new faces in office...
Well in the interest of political impartiality and fairness...

I was walking through Worcester about half an hour ago and bumped in the First Midlands Managing Director who was heading from a meeting to the Rail Station. I put the above point to him regarding the elections and he disagreed, saying that there are certain elected officials in Worcestershire who know what they are talking about.

I replied that it doesn't look that way from behind the steering wheel of a bus so he gave me a few examples, which got me thinking he may have a point.

chason

Post by chason » 19:29 Friday 3rd March 2017

Given the attitude of the present government towards local authorities, I actually do have some sympathy with local councillors these days. Getting them to do the dirty work of imposing cuts after cuts has been a masterstroke of central government because there is no way that they can win and it deflects the blame from those who are really responsible.

There is insufficient money to provide local services and whatever they do, councillors will be upsetting somebody. I just wish sometimes they would put up more of a fight to let the public know where the responsibility really lies but it's a thankless job and one I wouldn't want at any price.

marck

Post by marck » 11:34 Sunday 5th March 2017

Living & working in Perdiswell all I hear from locals is the lack of service 36's in the afternoon to and from Warndon & Hospital maybe a couple of extra in the afternoon would be helpful? Especially as the new swimming pool is now open, any thoughts on this?

MattW

Post by MattW » 18:31 Sunday 5th March 2017

DD12 wrote:
22:27 Wednesday 1st March 2017
Thanks Adam and Matt ;)
No problem mate - I'm only sorry that now I'm outside the loop again I can't be more helpful.

The one that intrigues me is the 44 and how it traverses Malvern. People joining the bus from say Malvern Link station onwards seem to be on the bus for ages before it gets to Morrisons which is where a lot of them want to go to. I know there's a few that run the 'other way' but didn't there used to be Malvern town services? With a service at 10 min intervals like the 44, could every other one not be a 45 (for example) and split them at Malvern Link traffic lights, one going clockwise around the town and one anticlockwise? Or am I being daft?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 19:05 Sunday 5th March 2017

I know a retired couple who live near the Express Inn in Malvern Link. They don't like to drive anymore and it is less than 25-yards from their home to the bus stop, yet when they need to go to Worcester they drive half a mile down the road to Victoria Park and catch the bus from Pickersleigh Road... Saves them well over a hour on their total return journey time.

Bring back Malvern depot! :lol:

DD12

Post by DD12 » 23:48 Sunday 5th March 2017

From the above two posts, it looks like there's potential for building on the success of the 44.
When I'm in the café at Morrisons, it looks like there are TOO MANY buses calling outside !!
I like the idea of Morrisons being a terminus for some journeys, (a one vehicle outstation, perhaps) - where radio-control or modern equivalent, could send a bus back north to Worcester, or around Malvern - - according to where the traffic jams are.
(And with the option of supporting the 30).

And, of course, from around 2024, we should hopefully have a new duelled bridge on the A4440 that could allow some fast, direct buses between County Hall/ Sixth Form College and Malvern.

(If I ran a bus company, all buses would go all around The Wrekin, and via Cloud Cuckoo Land ! :mrgreen: )

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”