144 Route.

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
MattW

Re: 144 Route.

Post by MattW » 10:47 Wednesday 7th December 2016

AdamH wrote:
22:47 Tuesday 6th December 2016
MattW wrote:
22:19 Tuesday 6th December 2016
...Open up from Stoke Heath roundabout to Webbs, don't brake until you're level with the truckstop, blip the throttle with your heel as she's coming down the 'box and power on through...
You really need to buy something better than a Ford if you have to get your speed kicks from driving a bus! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
And there was me about to buy another Cougar :roll: :lol:

I used to love it mate. I don't use public transport, I never particularly wanted to work in the bus industry, I just needed a job at the time, so the advantage of driving something large and powerful (empt)y was an opportunity there to be taken.
Did I ever tell you the time i went through Lower Moor roundabout without lifting my foot? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back on topic - the work at Bromsgrove station must be progressing, when are the electric trains due? I know it's not ideally situated for the town but surely it will be even more attactive to people heading for Birmingham. Or has the electrification work been cancelled in the latest round of cuts?

chason

Post by chason » 16:49 Wednesday 7th December 2016

No, the electrification between Barnt Green and Bromsgrove is still going ahead but not due to be in operation until 2018, I believe when there should be 4 trains an hour to and from New Street.

I've always had reservations about how much they will be used though. As you say it's not an ideal site for a station although I suppose it's OK for those on the south side of Bromsgrove. For those of us in the north (I'm at Lickey End) it will be no use at all as either catching two buses or driving to the station on the usually congested A38 would be pointless. If I was going to catch a train, it would be much easier to drive to Barnt Green or catch a bus to Longbridge.

To 'celebrate' the opening of the nice new station, Cross Country have announced that most of their few services that actually stop there now, won't in the future. Madness! Hope it isn't going to be a huge white elephant.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 20:47 Wednesday 7th December 2016

Have you noticed, Mr Chason, the photo of OA4568, on the HomePage-
"Members Favourite Photos".
- The side route boards appear to say "Lickey Ends"

(Which I think is even worse than Lickey End) :D

chason

Post by chason » 09:16 Thursday 8th December 2016

Thanks, DD12, for drawing that to my attention - I must confess it's something I hadn't noticed! It is an area that often causes confusion as the road signs indicating where Lickey End begins and ends are not where the locals think they should be. To relate it to the splendid picture of OA4568, it could almost be a case of where 'Lickey Ends and Marlbrook begins.'

To make matters worse, road traffic reports often refer to the traffic lights on the A38 by the Toby carvery, which most locals think are bang in the centre of Marlbrook, as being in Catshill.

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 09:29 Thursday 8th December 2016

DD12 wrote:
20:47 Wednesday 7th December 2016
(Which I think is even worse than Lickey End) :D
. . . . . . " That well known Chinese proverb", as a pal of mine used to say. Mind you it could be worse if you were a resident in Bell End , near Belbroughton ?

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 09:33 Thursday 8th December 2016

chason wrote:
09:16 Thursday 8th December 2016
To make matters worse, road traffic reports often refer to the traffic lights on the A38 by the Toby carvery, which most locals think are bang in the centre of Marlbrook, as being in Catshill.
As someone who was raised in Marlbrook, you were not a Catshillian until you lived south of Oak Road on Golden Cross Lane. :P

Michael

Post by Michael » 10:12 Thursday 8th December 2016

Has National Express' new X61 had an impact on the 144?

http://www.wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/5001-9959/6836.html

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 10:24 Thursday 8th December 2016

Michael wrote:
10:12 Thursday 8th December 2016
Has National Express' new X61 had an impact on the 144?
I saw one other those on my way into the City. I'm not a regular on the 144 so I don't know if numbers are down throughout the day... Maybe it was the very cold weather that put them all off when I was there.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 12:58 Thursday 8th December 2016

The grey livery on the new buses is rather uninspiring and uninviting!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 15:07 Wednesday 1st March 2017

Has anyone any info on how the northern section is responding to the recently introduced low-fare zone ?

I share the frustration (perceived) of business/service planners -
in that "greater Birmingham" ( - the "Second City") - aught to be a "cash-cow"
for FMR, - but the various realties have not allowed the potential to be tapped. :(

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”