144 Route.

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
Michael

Re: 144 Route.

Post by Michael » 22:05 Monday 6th March 2017

The 144 makes it into the Guardian!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... laboration

Although I am sure this was just a stock photo I think the 144 is a great example of how the Government's Franchising idea the article talks about can't work! Why would Worcestershire Council be interested in routes north of Rubery and why would Centro be bothered to commission a link from Longbridge to Worcester!!!

I do think First lack the spark to make Bromsgrove - Birmingham work well but a service provided simply because the council are paying First to do it will certainly not generate growth!!!

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:13 Tuesday 7th March 2017

bmmoboy wrote:
12:58 Thursday 8th December 2016
The grey livery on the new buses is rather uninspiring and uninviting!
I rather like it :oops: :lol:

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:17 Tuesday 7th March 2017

Michael wrote:
22:05 Monday 6th March 2017

I do think First lack the spark to make Bromsgrove - Birmingham work
First lack the spark to do almost anything worthwhile in this area. Even the few bits you see in the news like Kernow or the Buses of Somerset seem like a half hearted attempt. To me (who admittedly is not massively experienced in such matters) First seem to be run by accountants, whereas Stagecoach are prepared to make investment and, apparently at least, reap the rewards.
A former colleague of mine has moved over to Stagecoach West so hopefully will be able to get some insider info to confirm or deny this!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 06:52 Wednesday 8th March 2017

The newspaper story is from 2011, just before the massive budget cuts from the local Councils. At that time I guess they had a point as they were wasting money on routes that were designed by people who don't work in public transport and didn't understand what people want. The Worcester, Upton and Malvern group of services was a good example as the bus ran everywhere in one direction then direct back so it would take hours to get anywhere with no return journey! They must have spent an absoulute fortune on that, then wondered why nobody ever used it. :cry:

Assuming that one day the Council will have money they are willing to invest in buses again, they really need to listen to the operators and plan routes that people understand and want to use. The 144 has survived for 100 years because it doesn't mess about trying to please everyone, it just runs direct to where people want to go. As soon as they start running it around housing estates people will stop using it.

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 08:30 Monday 29th May 2017

I can fully appreciate the frustration suffered by both drivers and passengers of all the bus company's concerned in relation to the "temporary" traffic lights in Bromsgrove town at the moment. [Market St, Stourbridge Rd and The Strand junction.]. But on a hopefully lighter note, can any one "better" [ worser ?? ] the queue of SIX buses stuck waiting to exit the bus station that I observed last Wednesday ?? :ugeek: :oops: :o

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 08:58 Monday 29th May 2017

I'm working the Hay Festival at the moment so thankfully I haven't been anywhere near Bromsgrove. However, I'm hearing stories that the town is a nightmare at the moment and it's almost impossible to turn right out of the bus station towards Birmingham.

chason

Post by chason » 09:19 Wednesday 31st May 2017

Bromsgrove is a nightmare trafficwise at the moment but it's not much better even without the Market St problem. Roadworks almost anywhere and/or a problem on the M5 or M42 cause gridlock and nothing is ever done about it.

There's no co-ordination so you often get a road closed only to find there is another closure or more roadworks on the diversion route. The Highways Agency (or whatever they are called now), the County Council and the police don't bother and there don't seem any plans for improvements apart from a few half baked ideas for improving traffic light phasing and flows at roundabouts on the A38 but nothing radical which is what is really needed. Just more housing developments springing up all over the place which will only make the problem even worse!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 15:23 Friday 2nd June 2017

Latest rumour is that Service 144 will be fully converted to double-deck working using second-hand vehicles from Leicester. Can't see how that solves the roadworks problem.

Queue the loud bump as DD12 falls of his chair with excitement! :lol:

DD12

Post by DD12 » 17:34 Friday 2nd June 2017

AdamH wrote:
15:23 Friday 2nd June 2017

Queue the loud bump as DD12 falls of his chair with excitement! :lol:
.... I am just recovering from falling off my chair ! .....

Assuming that this rumour will turn out to be correct, - - I am very surprised !!

I had been thinking of asking again on this forum, if anyone knew how the northern section of the 144 was doing, but this implies it's doing OK at least.

Also, I have been very pessimistic in recent times, about the effect of traffic jams and possible loss of passengers as a result; but I will keep my fingers crossed !
Assuming that the 144A remains a mix of single-deckers and DDs, I would guess that UP TO the four remaining Leicester Geminis would transfer (?),
However, some of their StreetDecks could usefully boost the profile and reliability of the 144, and their euro-6 engines will eventually be required in inner Birmingham.

WR1st

Post by WR1st » 19:03 Friday 2nd June 2017

AdamH wrote:
15:23 Friday 2nd June 2017
Latest rumour is that Service 144 will be fully converted to double-deck working using second-hand vehicles from Leicester.
Worcester Engineering Staff must be shitting themselves Lol :twisted:

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”