Disrupted services

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
bringstybeast

Re: Disrupted services

Post by bringstybeast » 16:28 Saturday 2nd February 2019

Surely repeated failure to operate the timetable will lead to the Traffic Commissioner investigating - if it gets reported? Would expect that failures that are the fault of the company (insufficient staff employed) would result in reprimand if proven.

Would also say the social media team (now in Leeds not Norwich?) isn't helping. "We don't know why we aren't running the service but might be able to find out in 14 working days' time..." Customer services was pretty hopeless when run from Worcester (I'm still waiting for 3 or 4 replies from 2004 and before, I know the one was read as the typos I reported got fixed, and the ones I didn't, umm, didn't...), Norwich was awful (I had to complain about them not dealing with my complaint - and they've still not acted after 18 months), this public showing of complete incompetence is something else!

My sympathies to the remaining passengers.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 18:58 Saturday 2nd February 2019

bmmoboy wrote:
16:05 Saturday 2nd February 2019
We are short of drivers. I'm on the three day rota, working Thursday to Saturday next week, and I am working two of my rest days next week, I could work 13 out of 14 days (the legal maximum) if I wanted to, but I would like a life!
Thanks v.much - bmmoboy - for that insight.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 19:23 Saturday 2nd February 2019

Yes, although I'm not there anymore I still get to hear the gossips and I'm told they were 4 drivers short before the day started, and then another 4 didn't turn up and/or phoned in sick.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 19:49 Saturday 2nd February 2019

Perhaps if they reinstated the attendance bonus, fewer drivers would ring in sick

DD12

Post by DD12 » 20:20 Saturday 2nd February 2019

bringstybeast wrote:
16:28 Saturday 2nd February 2019
Would also say the social media team (now in Leeds not Norwich?) isn't helping. "We don't know why we aren't running the service but might be able to find out in 14 working days' time..."
Yes: - as well as making some passengers scratch their heads, that reply will be seen by some as -- "taking the p*ss", -- and maybe a "red flag to the bull" !!

I'd say that a bus company can have a "mass exodus" of drivers that coincides with a peak of driver sickness, and that the exodus of drivers might not be due to "bad management" -- -- For example --
Where I used to work, every time the management introduced unpopular changes that it considered to be essential to the future of the business, we used to have an exodus of skilled and valuable workers.

For certain existing services, should the Traffic Commissioner permit just a couple of weeks notice for new, reduced frequency timetables, thus enabling the operator to adhere to the new ones ?

Is FMR going to be able to reliably operate the revised T-Ts from the 24th of this month ??

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 10:11 Sunday 3rd February 2019

DD12 wrote:
20:20 Saturday 2nd February 2019
...Where I used to work, every time the management introduced unpopular changes that it considered to be essential to the future of the business, we used to have an exodus of skilled and valuable workers...

...Is FMR going to be able to reliably operate the revised T-Ts from the 24th of this month ??
There is certainly an element of truth here as this was the reason I left Worcester without another job to go to. That isn't as crazy as it sounds because there is a general shortage of qualified bus drivers throughout the industry and I knew through the contacts I've made over the years that I wouldn't be out of work for long. As a former shop-steward I would argue that the use of the phrase "skilled and valuable workers" does not apply to the bus industry. Most companies see drivers as semi-skilled and easily replaceable, and the levels of pay reflect that. Some operators pay as little as £8.20 per hour, which is less than 50p above the national minimum wage.

As for the service changes... I've not found a single driver at Worcester that knows what they are yet. However, in the past when short of staff the company has been known to drop the PVR down to meet the staffing level. With the current problems I think it's unlikely any routes will be expanded.

chason

Post by chason » 00:42 Monday 4th February 2019

It seems the bus industry is in crisis with passenger numbers falling, reduced subsidies leading to cuts and/or higher fares and not being able to attract sufficient staff to maintain services even at their present levels. The wages offered are clearly inadequate to attract staff, particularly in times of so called full employment and the industry is simply not sufficiently competitive in terms of the pay and conditions it is offering.

With unacceptable levels of pollution and many towns and cities suffering gridlocked traffic, as a nation we need to actively encourage much greater use of public transport but policies for both rail and bus are seriously lacking. The former attracts passengers but doesn't have the resources to cope with them and the latter has difficulty in filling enough seats to make them viable and both suffer from fares that are far too high. Sadly, it doesn't seem that our politicians have either the will or the nous to do anything about it.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 08:28 Monday 4th February 2019

If politicians used public transport frequently - something would be done, but as they enjoy large salaries, and frequently have second and third jobs, they can afford not to use the bus or train and don't experience what ordinary members of the public have to endure.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:51 Monday 4th February 2019

Meanwhile, the downward spiral of First Group continues...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... Nqi74G4rbQ

MattW

Post by MattW » 15:51 Wednesday 6th February 2019

363 etc currently running via Hanley Castle due to road closure (3 weeks) at Tunnel Hill. Council providing a shuttle service, I'll try and discover what vehicle is being used.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”